The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damaturu of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior MEAL Manager
Reference ID: req27122
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Senior MEAL Manager position reports to the MEAL Coordinator and works closely with the MEAL coordinator in the implementation of the regional and country measurement strategy.
- He/she will support program as well as sector MEAL teams in overall data management, data quality assurance and facilitates learning across teams and field sites.
- The role requires extensive MEAL experience and good understanding of IRC measurement approach and concepts.
- The post holder will be expected to provide technical support in; data gathering, aggregation, MEAL tool development, support electronic data platforms, databases and select technologies to capture and organize data in a usable format.
- He/she will work collaboratively with sector teams, MEAL coordinator and support teams. The incumbent will be expected to communicate courteously on program performance, develop and maintain positive relationships with program and support teams
Design and Development:
- Support the MEAL teams in development of detailed and coherent MEAL plans that provide:
- Logical frameworks
- Functional databases
- Accessible project data.
- Provide support in establishment and maintenance of monitoring systems across sectors
- In absence of MEAL coordinator, work with sector teams to ensure that proposals are reflective of organizational and donor protocols
- Use learning evidence and data from previous projects to inform proposal design
- Engage in the design, method and conduct of surveys such as baseline and end line and the commission of evaluations in coordination with colleagues and partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Work with sector MEAL teams to determine which monitoring activities will take place and which data collection methods will be used to ensure data adequacy and completeness
- Responsible for providing consistent, supportive supervision as necessary to meet monitoring objectives and ensure data quality
- Work with MEAL and sector teams to track progress on action points related to implementation and MEAL activities
- Support data quality audits and resolve systemic problems in data quality
- Tracking and documenting best practices in monitoring and evaluation
- Supervise MEAL field activities
- Produce quality reports and updating dashboards with key findings that foster learning and decision making and share in project life cycle meetings and teams meetings
- Identify, detail and share lessons learned to improve services and results for our clients.
Data Usage for Action:
- Advocate for and support the expansion of standard mobile data technology and online dashboards to enhance timeless and quality data collection, analysis and visualization
- Develop digital data collection tools and processes for online data management
- Establish and ensure timely data flow, quality checks and audits and updating of data visualization
- Undertake regular analysis of monitoring data and work closely with technical coordinators to facilitate decision making for real time program adaptation
- Participate in program coordination meeting and progress against activities and budget.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: MEAL Coordinator
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Client Responsiveness Specialist, International Programs
- Position directly Supervises: CRA officers / Hotline Assistants.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Project Management or any other relevant discipline. A master’s degree in any field is an added advantage
- 4 – 5 years of consistent, proven, and successful experience in monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning – specific experience in feedback management will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated understanding or project management in a similar role/with similar responsibilities in a multi sectoral and multi donor environment
- Strong team management experience with sound capacities to work in a diversified team
- Willingness to work under pressure and stressful situations without minimal supervision and without compromising deadlines or quality
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills and competency in word, Excel, PowerPoint, Kobo toolbox, commcare
- Willingness to travel to field sites under demanding conditions.
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Add position-specific (e.g. accounting software, statistical software, etc.).
Ability to Travel:
- 40% of time.
Standards of Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online