Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) is an indigenous non-governmental organization that promotes socio-economic development by supporting a broad range of global health interventions, education and economic initiatives in Nigeria. AHNi is an allied organization to Family Health International (FHI360) with co-existing and mutually supportive interest in advancing the collective goals of the people and communities served. AHNi currently has its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
To strengthen our operations and interventions in the country, we are recruiting qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Mobilization & Gender Specialist
Job Category: Fixed Term
- The gender focal point would be expected to advocate for greater attention to gender perspectives, providing the necessary rationales and advice on approaches to support gender mainstreaming in AHNi.
- S/he will be responsible for integrating gender sensitive approaches to technical assistance.
- S/he will promote high level of collaboration, communication and cooperation with government facilities and identify appropriate interventions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide professional support to materials development team, teacher training team and community development teams in conjunction with SUBEB tin ensuring best practice gender strategies are designed into all aspect of the PLANE Project
- Conduct robust analysis of gender constraints facing women within the target beneficiary population; recommend gender initiatives needed to meet program targets for women’s participation especially in education and championing the literacy advocacy in the states.
- Work with AHNi staff and partners to ensure that gender considerations are fully integrated into the literacy /learning program design and activities, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Design and implement program gender strategy, including management of women-focused special learning & literacy initiatives, as required.
- Design and conduct gender sensitization training for AHNi staff, implementation partners and beneficiaries.
- Conduct periodic program gender evaluations; recommend and implement corrections, as necessary.
- Monitor and evaluate program performance on gender-related goals and objectives and contribute content for internal and external reporting.
- Develop indicators for assessing progress with gender mainstreaming, adapted to the various types of work in various portfolios.
- Collect, analyze and disseminate on a regular basis, statistics on the representation of women in all processes and bodies established in the project literacy campaign
- Develop, maintain and disseminate a resource-base of gender specialists with relevant competencies in the area of teaching, learning & general literacy which can be used throughout the organization as necessary.
- Improve gender equality through policy advice, networking, advocacy and teamwork, and relate them to policy makers across sectors.
- Serve as AHNi focal point on gender issues among Development Partners and with the government.
- Improve dissemination of current and anticipated Gender related initiatives while deepening and broadening the dialogue on gender with the Government and other stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for training and capacity building on gender for teams and partners.
- Ensure that information needed for appropriate gender analysis is integrated into programs, collected and analyzed correctly.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Gender Studies, Sociology, Anthropology or related discipline with 5-7 years working experience in gender integration at the national or international level.
- Expertise in gender analysis, strategic planning, and integrating gender balance into project design and management is required.
- Experience in dealing with issues of women’s rights and gender mainstreaming within public institutions and/or international organizations required.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects is required.
- Preferably a recognized gender expert in the field, with first-hand knowledge of gender experience working in Economic development, gender equality issues, public policy, or social development.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Knowledge of education and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Experience working as or with senior government policy makers.
- Strong analytic and economic research skills.
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
- Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work through implementing partners.
- Strong writing, Excel and PowerPoint presentation skills.
- Ability to understand full range of issues around gender related issues and sensitivities.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Application Closing Date
Thursday; 31st March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a Suitability Statement (Application) and Resume (CV) as a single MS Word document to: AHNi-ProgMgtJobs@ahnigeria.org using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications sent electronically (i.e., by e-mail) with the job title and location clearly indicated as the subject of the mail will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AHNi is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Disclaimer: AHNi does not charge Candidates a fee for a test or interview.