The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor on Employment Promotion / State Coordinator
Vacancy No: 031
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET).
- Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The Technical Advisor on Employment Promotion will be responsible for SKYE interventions related to active labour market measures and economic reintegration of returnees. This includes:
- Achieving the project objectives, in the field of labour market analyses / training needs assessments
- Ensures stakeholder collaboration and commitment through the development of a dialogue platform for employment promotion in Edo State
- Supports in the development of labour information systems
- Supports in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of job creation / job promotion measures such as, e.g. job fairs, support in the development of job centres, internship programmes, etc.
- Supports in the development and implementation of innovative (e.g. digital) solutions for job promotion
- Ensuring that the results of the SKYE programme interventions are backed up by reliable data, well documented and visualised
- Developing proposals for additional interventions that support job promotion.
- Ensures demand driven short- and long-term training programmes meet the desired outcomes and are delivered to meet SKYE indicators
- Ensures the economic reintegration of returnees through demand driven employment promotion measures
- Identifies employment opportunities in selected sectors and develops innovative strategies for employment promotion.
- Both, independently and in collaboration with SKYE colleagues in different States (Lagos, Abuja etc.) plans, designs, prepares, organizes, coordinates and implements interventions and activities on employment promotion e.g. trainings, seminars and workshops, budgets, networking events, linkages, awareness and sensitization campaigns.
- Builds effective networks with relevant partners to identify employment opportunities for young people in Edo State.
- Works with industry training organisations, training providers and tertiary institutions to implement skills development programmes which align to the needs of young Nigerians
- Supports the identification of consultants and trainers or event managers, drafting of ToRs and oversees the quality control of the performance of national and international consultants.
- Provides strategic, operational and other technical support to stakeholders and partners on federal, state and local levels
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of unit/ programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts to ensure quality and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives.
- Identify synergies and promote as well as coordinate activities with stakeholders and partners
- Work closely together with the colleagues that work on other intervention sectors in Edo (esp. with Programme Migration for
- Development, Migration and Diaspora and the SEDIN programme (promotion of employment / entrepreneurship)
- Participates actively in the overall planning and implementation of employment promotion intervention for returnees and potential migrant
- Supports and takes responsibility for the achievement of any other task as needed and assigned by the management
Tasks – State Coordinator:
- Coordinate all activities in Edo State and work as a primary contact point for government partners
- Serve as a liaison between GIZ – SKYE and it’s stakeholders in Benin City by Organizing, attending, and participating in stakeholder meetings.
- Report updates describing state practice concerns and policy developments
- Participate in extended Management Meeting with other State
- Coordinators and SKYE staff
- Maintaining and monitoring state plans, state project schedules, budgets, and expenditures.
- Providing administrative support as needed.
- Undertaking project tasks as required.
- Supporting in the development of project strategies for the state
- Ensuring the state team adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately for SKYE.
- Ensure stakeholder views are managed towards the best solution.
- Chair and facilitate meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Team Leader.
- Ensures knowledge transfer of relevant information to the unit or programme
- Documents and adequately labels all relevant files for future use on the relevant servers
- Prepares appropriate input for various unit/ programme reports including annual reports, presentations and contributes to the other reports required by the programme
- Assesses and analyses existing interventions in the country to support strategic decision-making and advisory services for partners.
- Support the management in meeting the programme’s M&E requirements (including providing data for monthly special reporting on returnees)
- Supports GIZ-SKYE in gaining the commitment and support of stakeholders in the state
- Assists in preparing, conducting and documenting meetings with partners.
- Assists in keeping track of processes and actions required.
- May be assigned other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics or Social Sciences.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience private sector companies, international development organisations or international consultancy firms.
- Work experience in the field of job creation, job promotion and the employment environment.
- Understands the national employment strategy and how the labour market activities contribute to achieving development outcomes
- An understanding of seasonal jobs and employers/opportunities
- Work experience in the Nigerian private sector environment.
- Proven excellent knowledge of the English language, both oral and written.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptional and organizational skills.
- Proven good working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. MS Office Package).
- Willingness to strengthen skills and competences as required by the task to be performed in line with measures agreed with the supervisor and management.
- Willingness to travel to the field and other programmes offices in Nigeria.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility
Desired additional qualifications, competences and experience:
- 4 years Management experience in relevant field or sector.
- Experience with job centres, the employment promotion environment in Nigeria (e.g. job portals / platforms)
- Skills on data collection, analysis and visualization is considered a strong asset.
- International exposure
- Knowledge in the area of Migration and economic reintegration of Returnees
- Knowledge on skills development
- Knowledge in issues of gender equality
- Knowledge on value chain development
- Knowledge of security related skills.
According to GIZ Nigeria Salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
28th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 031 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.