The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Requisition ID: 1061
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P3
Number of position: 03
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Directorate / Department : OSPD
Division: Planning Monitoring and Evaluation
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Head of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of AU Agenda 2063 First Ten Year Implementation Plan (FTYIP) of AU priority plans and programs
- Provide support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Ensure effective coordination and implementation of Unit’s plans and activities at various levels;
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other relevant stakeholders on relevant matters;
- Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division;
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders’ coordination;
- Manage and supervise direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use;
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
- Develop and implement a robust MEAL System, ensuring that it is institutionalized within the existing management framework. This includes establishing policy, procedure, theories of change and tools for data collection and use consistent with M&E resources, log frame to demonstrate results and impact and build staff capacity to understand and use the M&E system;
- Collaborates with staff to collect activity-specific quantitative and qualitative data, maintain quality assurance of data collected, coordinate overall quantitative and qualitative data collection;
- Lead the compilation, validation and analysis of data collected from Intervention and activities of AU member states, consolidate into reports and disseminate for knowledge management;
- Establish and promote quality programming and innovation, which will be achieved through developing and improving monitoring, evaluation, impact assessment and learning methodologies;
- Ensure that all activities are continually monitored and that lessons are documented and communicated to inform on-going implementation and future programming;
- Guide the Team in designing and implementing activities that are outcome and impact-focused and enhance accountability to stakeholders in line with International donors’ policies and practices;
- Provide strategic support for improved project management and implementation informed by Project Design documents, Annual work plan and M&E Result frameworks;
- Develop and update monitoring tools to track project activities, develop and update M&E Plan consistent with the annual M&E framework, Logframe, in consultation with staff;
- Update the progress and provide timely analysis to develop and update overall strategic plan and framework, outcome and impact chain and intervention logics;
- Support management team and staff in developing and implementing organization annual work plans, overall monitoring framework including capturing of learnings and achievements;
- Lead and coordinate staff in preparing indicator protocol sheets (indicator description/profile) of project indicators mentioned in project documents;
- Lead the development of comprehensive baseline statistics for key project variables, coordinate setting of target and collect periodic data and information against the baseline to assess and report on the overall progress of these variable;
- Take lead in developing monitoring and evaluation tools and process and coordinate with Monitoring and Evaluation Unit of donors to obtain guidance and updates on policies and guidelines on M&E;
- Performs other duties as assigned
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Management, Statistics, Economics, Political Science or other related fields from a recognized university; with 7 years of experience at specialist or expertise level in programme/project management area of work
- Or a University Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Management, Statistics, Economics, Political Science or other related fields with 10 years of experience out of which 3 years of experience at specialist/ expertise level in programme/ project management area of work
- Understanding of various approaches and methods of programme and project monitoring & evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Proven ICT skills, especially in MS-Excel and Statistical Data software’s;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organisational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Knowledge of African Union Agenda 2063 First Ten Year Implementation Plan is desirable.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, and Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online