The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Vacancy No: 030
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries.
- Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
- *Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2019.
- The Digital Transformation Center in Nigeria is a new project of the GIZ that aims to contribute to the improvement of the capacity of the Nigerian economy to implement digital innovations for growth, through supporting the digital transformation of the economy and society. To achieve this the project will work closely with Nigerian actors in the innovation ecosystem such as: National Information and Technology Development Agency, research institutions, innovation hubs, hub networks, start-ups, MSMEs, women.
- The activities will focus mainly on capacity building through promoting policy development and implementation and networking among digital ecosystem actors and providing coaching and training, advisory services, equipment and kick-start funding
The driver is responsible for:
- Safely and responsibly performing all official travel using official vehicles,
- Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles,
- Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes, locations and security when preparing and during travel,
- Running official errands, and assisting with other office work.
The driver performs the following tasks:
- Provides passenger transport in an official car for project / programme staff, official visitors and guests, and ensures that safety and security standards are not compromised,
- Runs errands for the project, programme or office, e.g. delivering letters and messages, paying bills and buying smaller quantities of office supplies,
- Helps with transporting goods,
- Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIZ standards.
- Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly,
- Ensures the up to standard maintenance of the vehicle (s) including checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.,
- Is responsible for the project vehicle documents and good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance,
- Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting,
- Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs,
- Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss or theft of vehicle fittings,
- Ensures unrestricted availability of vehicles at all times and reports restrictions immediately
- Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers,
- Considers security information in planning routes to ensure safe passage while travelling.
Other duties / Additional Tasks:
- The driver
- Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme or Office if there is no travel pending and carries out other office work on request
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Secondary School Education,
- Security background will be an advantage
- Professional experience
- At least 2-3 years’ work experience as a driver with references,
- Holds a valid driver’s licence
- Prior training and/or a background in security and safety,
- Experience working with international organizations,
- Work experience as a car mechanic is an advantage,
- Training in first aid is an advantage,
- No major accidents in the past 3 years
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English language,
- Knowledge of local languages is an asset,
- Familiarity with Lagos,
- Discipline and punctuality,
- Professional, friendly, polite and respectful,
- Resilient and patient,
- Appropriate appearance and attire (possibly uniform),
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed –
- Corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Application Closing Date
22nd March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using “Vacancy No.030” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.