African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager – Administrative Affairs
Position Number: 50092357
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL2
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The role of the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL) is to provide legal support, legal advice and services to the Boards of the Bank Group, to the President, Vice Presidents, as well as the operational, financial and administrative departments of the Bank.
- The role of the PGCL is also to protect the interest of the Bank from legal liability and, as necessary, to provide legal defence in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
- The Administrative Affairs Division’s main activities are to provide legal and advisory services on administrative/institutional matters of the Bank.
- The objective of the Division Manager – Administrative Affairs role is to lead all legal aspects of administrative/institutional issues and ensure the supervision, mentoring and coaching of staff under the incumbent supervision.
- The job holder ensures the correct interpretation of, and compliance with the various Bank’s policies, rules, regulations and procedures applicable to staff (including Staff rules & regulations, applicable Presidential Directives and Administrative Instructions), corporate procurement, delegation of authority of the Bank,
Under the supervision and guidance of the General Counsel, the Division Manager – Administrative Affairs Division will:
- Assign and coordinate work of each counsel with that of the Corporate Services and Human Resources complex and/or other complexes of the Bank.
- Supervise the preparation of briefs and pleadings for defending the Bank’s interests before the Administrative Tribunal and/or Appeals Committee and other fora in which a dispute may be instituted against and/or by the Bank.
- Supervise and lead negotiations with countries for the establishment of Bank’s Offices.
- Assist the General Counsel in elaborating and coordinating strategies for the defense of the Bank in any litigation brought by an external party against the Bank.
- Supervise the initiation, monitoring and conclusion of settlement in litigation, mediation, arbitration and other type of dispute resolution mechanisms as are necessary in the interest of the Bank.
- Supervise drafting of legal documents relating to the organizational structure and administration of the Bank, supervise the drafting of legal advice in respect of the relationship of the Bank and the Fund with third parties including other international organizations and member states, particularly with regard to the privileges, immunities and exemptions of the Bank and Fund as well as those enjoyed by its officers, employees, consultants and experts.
- Supervise the preparation of the terms of contracts related to institutional procurement including leases or purchase of real property, procurement of goods, services and works necessary for the proper functioning of the Bank, IT hardware and software procurement.
- Assist the General Counsel in providing legal assistance and advice or in participating at statutory committees such as the Staff Appeals Committee, the Disciplinary Committee, the Pension Steering Committee and Investment Committee, the Medical Board and Finance Committee of the Medical Plan, the Purchasing Committee, the Information Systems Steering Committee and the Capital Investment Program Committee.
- Supervise the provision of legal advice and support in all human resource matters including recruitment, salary reviews, and administration of staff benefits, contract negotiation, promotions, pre-litigious issues and performance evaluations.
- Supervise the interpretation texts of the Bank concerning staff and general administration of the Bank.
- Ensure quality control as well as compliance with the Bank’s policies and procedures with respect to the provision of legal services in all aspects of administrative matters of the Bank.
- Prepare and manage the budget of the Division.
- Ensure quality control, coordinate and harmonize the work of lawyers in the Regional Directorate Hubs.
- Handle legal issues of a complex and confidential nature in accordance with the instructions of the General Counsel and/or other members of Senior Management of the Bank.
- Assure quality control of work performed in the Division and determine the priorities of the Division as well as resolve any conflicts that may arise between subordinates.
- Evaluate staff performance yearly, provide Human Resources Department with necessary information on staff confirmation following probationary period and contracts renewals.
- Coordinate and harmonize work done in the Regional Hubs, as well as carry out the day-to-day administrative management of the Division.
- Interact with all institutional entities of the Bank including senior management, management, Boards of Directors and of Governors.
- Attend Board meetings (formal and committees) and ensure that all legal aspects of projects presented to the Boards have been covered.
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Holds at least a Master’s Degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in similar jobs, preferably in a Multilateral Development Bank.
- Combined specialization and expertise in the knowledge of the administrative structure, organization and texts of the Bank.
- Seasoned knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters within the Bank and other international organizations.
- Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, leading the negotiation of host country agreements or complex technology contracts and, partnership agreements.
- Capacity to supervise the negotiation of complex legal documents of all manners and form that balances the standards and norms of outside parties with the unique requirements of the Bank.
- Capacity to lead the representation of the Bank before the Administrative Tribunal and other dispute resolution fora, as may be directed by the General Counsel.
- Ability to apply legal knowledge to deliver full scope of strategic legal services in line with the Bank’s requirements in the legal domain.
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve their legal issues.
- Ability to take the lead in any legal discourse at Board meetings (formal and all Board committees) and drive change in line with the Bank’s requirements.
- Ability to take the lead in any legal discourse at certain internal technical committees and Senior Management committees as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
10th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online