International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Protection Assistant (Field Support)
SVN No.: CFCV2022.01
Organizational Unit: Migration Protection and Assistance (MPA)
IOM Classification: On-Call
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Protection Officer Lagos, and the direct supervision of a Protection Assistant in Lagos the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of activities in the thematic area of
- Counter-Trafficking and Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants under the Migration Management unit, addressing protection concerns of migrants and provision of direct assistance:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of the Protection activities and deliverables, including timely delivery, quality control, administrative matters, follow-up, and financial support at the Transit Centre
- Assist with identification of the immediate needs of vulnerable migrants and victims of trafficking and support, including conducting screening interviews and intake as required at the Transit Centre
- Carry out individual consultations with vulnerable migrants and provide immediate rehabilitation and recovery support, including coordination of medical care, psychological counselling, emergency assistance, hospitalization, as well as shelter assistance for consulted persons, if needed. Adhere to IOM’s internal guidance, policies, and principles in the identification of target groups and assistance provision.
- Provide technical and administrative support to relevant state and non-state actors, including training institutions, involved with providing rehabilitation and sustainable reintegration assistance.
- Develop the beneficiary profile and needs assessment formats and ensure that information on returnees is codified and stored into a database (MiMOSA) for further processing, analysis, and reporting.
- Guided by the existing SOP, coordinate with partners to provide family tracing and reunification (FTR) and reintegration support to unaccompanied and separated migrant children (USMC).
- Assist in the development and implementation of awareness-raising activities for VoTs on their rights and available protection, as well as with private sector actors supporting rehabilitation and reintegration efforts.
- Compile inputs and prepare periodic donor reports and updates, including preparation of narrative and financial project reports.
- Support the monitoring of the reintegration of beneficiaries related activities when necessary.
- Submit monthly monitoring reports on time.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of three year’s progressive and relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Migration Management, Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, or any related Social Sciences.
- Minimum of three years experience (or five years of experience for candidates holding a school diploma) in the field of migration issues, protection, including operational and field experience.
- Experience in counter-trafficking, protection of vulnerable migrants, SGBV or similar area.
- Project management experience required, preferably in counselling, human relations, and management.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions.
- Experience in migration, refugees and reintegration of migrants and victims of trafficking or working with an international organization, development agencies or a UN institution is highly desirable.
- Strong computer skills – Word, Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, Excel, and Internet
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written)., Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respect and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
23rd January, 2022.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2022.01 Lagos. Protection Assistant (Field Support), Hourly.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.