ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while c o-creating longer-term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 18million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Career Category: Program / Project Management
- Present in Nigeria since 2017, ACTED teams are working with the local authorities to support vulnerable populations in the country, with a coordination office based in Abuja.
- The NGO provides emergency assistance to the most vulnerable populations through various activities, such as building shelters, distributing non-food items, assisting in the management of camps and informal settlements for displaced persons, and supporting farmers and information management services to the humanitarian community.
You will be in charge of
- Context analysis: Ensure ACTED has an up-to-date understanding of the area’s socio-economic situation, trends, needs and gaps, and who does what and where (3W)
- Strategy Implementation: Take a lead role in implemeting ACTED’s country program strategy in the area identifying strategic opportunities for expanding ACTED’s work in the area, and in particular:
- Identify new opportunities and new sectors of intervention
- Consolidate and stabilizate programming
- Review the geographic and thematic footprint
- Ensure activities are relevant and meeting area/beneficiary needs
- Identify ACTED added-value
- Ensure humanitarian principals are adhered to
- Contribute to identifying new donors, private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc. to work with in the area based on complementarity and added value
Networking, Positioning and General Representation:
- Participate in donor meetings at area level and communicate relevant information to the Country Director and other relevant staff;
- Establish, maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups, consortia, etc. at area level ensuring maximum visibility of ACTED
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with local authorities and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for ACTED’s activities at area level
- Ensure ACTED is represented in key clusters, working groups, NGO coordination bodies, etc. at area level
- Lead assessment(s) at area level to ensure proposals are relevant
- Support the Country Director and Project Development Department in proposal conceptualisation (problem statement, logframe) within the framework of the country, regional and global strategy
- Contribute to budget design ensure budget needs at area level have been taken into consideration
- Advocacy: Contribute to drafting issues papers, advocacy notes, press releases on relevant humanitarian and development issues in the area of operation
- Promotion of ACTED network: Keep abreast with and contribute to ACTED’s global initiatives and global trends, in particular Impact (REACH, Agora), Convergences and Oxus
Management and Internal Coordination:
- Ensure that all staff in the area understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities related to area operations and link with the capital Head of Departments
- Promote team building, productivity and staff welfare
- Mentor and support the team to build capacities, and improve efficiency and performance, and follow career management
- Manage interpersonal conflicts among staff at area level
- Facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing for a positive working environment
- Ensure implementation of ACTED coordination mechanism at area level (WAM, MAR, FLAT meeting, etc.)
Project Implementation Follow-up:
Project Implementation Tracking:
- Supervise Project Managers in the area and provide support to project implementation through troubleshooting and eliminating blocking points
- Monitor output achievement, cash burn rates and ensure a time completion of projects through review of PMFs, BFUs and project reports
- Ensure that relevant project information are up-to-date and available for reporting purposes
- Ensure coordination and complementarity amongst projects within the area of intervention
Project Quality Control:
- Ensure the application of a practical field-based M&E system/plan for each project
- Conduct frequent field visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources
- Advise Project Managers to adapt projects according to monitoring and evaluation findings
- Ensure beneficiary feedback mechanisms are in place
- Ensure capitalisation of best practices and lessons learnt for projects in the area of operations.
- Identify potential local partners in the area based on an assessment of complementarity and added value
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with ACTED and donor requirements
- Control project budgets at area level to avoid under/over spending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and efficient cash flow management
- Ensure timely and accurate area finance TITANIC reporting
Logistics & IT Management:
- Ensure timely procurement and adherence to rules of origin and nationality at area level
- Ensure quality supply management at area level
- Ensure proper asset management at area level and enforce asset investment policy
- Ensure proper stock management at area level
- Ensure proper IT systems, data back-up and protection from malware at area level
- Ensure sufficient and reliable means of communication at area level
- Ensure timely and accurate area logistics TITANIC reporting
Administration and HR Management:
- Ensure transparent and timely recruitment of national staff and contribute to international staff recruitment upon capital request
- Proactively adapt the staffing structure to needs and funding
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management for staff at area level
- Ensure timely and accurate area HR TITANIC reporting
- Ensure timely exit forms
Transparency / Compliance Management:
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATS procedures
- Ensure that staff is aware of ACTED’s transparency and whistleblowing policy
- Analyse the security context at area level and in close collaboration with the Country Security Manager contribute to defining, analysing and evaluating risks
- Engage with relevant key stakeholders at area level to ensure access and support of interventions
- Address security and safety risks by implementing standard operating procedures defined for the area
- Ensure the offices and houses conform to recommended security, health and safety standards
- Ensure all staff in the area adhere to security procedures
- Ensure security incidents at area level are promptly reported to the capital
Expected Skills and Qualifications
- University Education in a relevant field such as international Development, Emergency Operations, Humanitarian Programming, Technical Degree in Camp Management, or the like.
- At least four years relevant work experience, preferably including camp settings
- Extensive project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and/or development programmes
- Base management skills preferred
- Proven capabilities in leadership and management required
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- Knowledge of local language and/or regional experience an asset
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience.
- Living allowance of 300 USD.
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lengths and country of assignment).
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED.
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances.
Application Closing Date
25th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application (Resume and Cover Letter) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Ref: AC/NIA” as the subject of the mail.