Jumia is a leading e-commerce platform in Africa. It is built around a marketplace, Jumia Logistics, and JumiaPay. The marketplace helps millions of consumers and sellers to connect and transact. Jumia Logistics enables the delivery of millions of packages through our network of local partners. JumiaPay facilitates the payments of online transactions for Jumia’s ecosystem. With over 1 billion people and 500 million internet users in Africa, Jumia believes that e-commerce is making people’s lives easier by helping them shop and pay for millions of products at the best prices wherever they live. E-commerce is also creating new opportunities for SMEs to grow, and job opportunities for a new generation to thrive.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating a sustainable impact in Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel, JumiaPay
Employment Type: Full-time
- As Legal Counsel, Your responsibility would be to support JumiaOne and JumiaPay business lines.
- You will be the primary Legal Adviser for JumiaPay and JumiaOne in giving legal advice to management on all relevant issues and to ensure that the company adheres strictly to all laws and guidelines with the sole aim of protecting the company’s reputation within the region of coverage.
- Providing specialist legal knowledge and expertise (also obtaining legal advice) on financial, payments and FinTech regulations across multiple African and European markets
- Overseeing regulatory applications and relationships with financial regulators, including responses to examinations and other inquiries.
- Translating knowledge of the global financial and payment ecosystem into the Jumia environment. Also working closely with the commercial, finance, technical and compliance team.
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for payments, banking, and mobile money services
- Supporting the drafting, design and implementation of group legal policies and procedures relevant to JumiaOne and JumiaPay.
- Engaging in other aspects of the legal function and special projects as topics arise.
Qualifications & Requirements
- LLB from a recognized and accredited University
- 7+ years’ legal experience in a top law firm or corporate practice.
- Mix of professional experience as in-house legal counsel in a technology-related business and legal counsel in a top tier law firm with international clients or other relevant private or public practice.
- Proven ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies.
- Litigation skills to handle administrative procedures within public authorities.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information
- Adequate knowledge of the e-commerce/technology Industry
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced organization.
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team working around the world
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online