Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Equality and Inclusion Coordinator
Location: Sokoto, Nigeria
- The ASPIRE project is a 5-year project funded with support from Global Affairs Canada and focused on improving sexual rights and reproductive health of adolescent girls and boys in Bauchi and Sokoto state.
- The gender equality and inclusion coordinator will provide specialized gender equality technical support to the direction and backing in guaranteeing project cycles, exercises and yields are in accordance with project Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategies and add to Plan International Nigeria, Donor, National and State level responsibilities to Gender Equality and Inclusion.
- This role requires a strong intersectional lens. This means having the capacity to analyze the situation, needs, and barriers of diverse children/adolescents from excluded or non-domiant groups.
- This also means being able to design / support activities that safely engage diverse children who are excluded for various reasons such as age, sex, gender identity, ability, race, sexual orientation, religion, language, education, literacy level, ethnicity, etc. As well as supporting competencies of other staff (such as GE officers) in applying this lens to project activities and approaches.
Dimensions of the Role
- The Gender Equality and Inclusion Coordinator will be responsible for leading the project’s gender equality strategy.
- As an integral member of the project team, the role will ensure that a gender transformative approach is integrated in both demand and supply-side interventions of Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights (SRHR) and Child Protection (CP) programming to contribute to the ultimate outcome of the project.
- Leads the development of an exhaustive Project Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategy in accordance with benefactor norms and Plan International responsibilities and Development Response Strategy.
- Gender Transformative Analysis and Programming: Leads the delivery of robust gender equality, inclusion and protection assessments to further define and validate the project’s strategy to deliver gender transformative programming and results. A strong understanding of project cycle management is essential to provide relevant technical guidance
- Leads the implementation of ASPIRE project gender equality strategy which aims to ensure Plan staff and key partners have the tools, skills and capacities to fulfil core ASPIRE gender standards relevant to the needs of the program participants and operating context. This includes providing training, mentorship and ongoing capacity development for staff and partners.
- Ensure observing and assessment segments in the task sufficiently catch sex uniformity and incorporation indicators.
- Support the execution of sexual orientation evaluations, including offering specialized help to office appraisals inside the project.
- Analyze and integrate the vital discoveries to encourage Project Manager on procedures to guarantee positive sex ground-breaking and comprehensive in SRH and CSE programming.
- Provide technical support to contribute in regular project narrative reports and communication materials on time, ensuring that implementation of gender transformative programming is clearly articulated and supported with high quality data, results and lessons
- Social behaviour Communication Change and Public Mobilisation: Recognizing the women and girl’s agency, support in the development and technical review of training and capacity building, behaviour change communication, and community outreach activities.
- WRO & YLO: Provides leadership in engaging and capacity building of Women’s Rights Organizations and Youth-led Organizations, including supporting their advocacy and awareness campaigns.
- Leads the development, review and implementation of training programs as relevant to the project’s gender equality strategy.
- Provide specialized direction and backing on commitment with government and non-administrative venture accomplices and partners to guarantee more prominent cooperation of ladies and youths.
- Contribute to the undertaking audit and revealing cycles, remembering the sharing and spread of best practices for sex equity and consideration mainstreaming inside the project
- Contribute to the information the executive’s framework such that records and sets up Plan International Nigeria responsibilities and expertise in Gender Equality.
- Provide constructive criticism on project progress against arranged Gender Equality techniques and indicators.
- Support colleagues in introductions and commitment at the local area level to guarantee best practices in Gender Equality and consideration are transferred.
- Support in consistently preparing staff, accomplices and partners for improved Gender Equality and Inclusion mainstreaming.
- Develop solid associations with state accomplices to give linkages to maintainability of positive Gender Equality results in Development programming (particularly for young adult girls).
- Collaborates with other Country office programs as necessary.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences / Art with background in Gender Studies, Anthropology or an equivalent from a recognized University.
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 4 years practical work experience in mainstreaming Gender Equality and Inclusion in projects. Experience in implementing gender-transformative projects will be an added advantage.
- Proven understanding of intersectional Gender programming concepts, adolescent programming and community approaches to development.
- Knowledge and experience with Donor program and Gender Equality and Inclusion frameworks and approaches.
Technical Aptitude, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Experience in providing GE technical support to child/adolescent health, education or protection programming (ideally from project inception/start up, through implementation, to evaluation and close out).
- Experience in coordinating, implementing or supporting rights-based SRHR and/or CP programming.
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with various partners and keep up solid relationships.
- Experience in facilitation, training, mentoring/coaching
- Ability to use a safeguarding and intersectional lens in how gender-transformative programming is carried out to ensure project approaches and activities are sensitive to risk of harm to children/adolescents, especially those from non-dominant groups, and those who have experienced violence (such as gender and age-based violence).
- Ability to strengthen capacity of other project staff, volunteers, partners in using this safeguarding and intersectional lens in gender-transformative SRHR and CP programming.
- Ability to add to strategy improvement measures, including strategy Gender methodologies, structure advancement and monitoring.
- Ability to collaborate closely with child protection, GBV and safeguarding staff to ensure that the integrated protection and GBV components of the gender-transformative project are supported and carried out safely with a Do No Harm approach.
- Experience in social norms and behaviour change programming an asset.
- Experience in supporting projects that work at the level of the individual, family, community and institutions an asset.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Commitment to constant learning and innovation.
- Good PC skills.
- Knowledge of Hausa language.
- Good comprehension of the Gender Equality and child-rights based approaches to programming.
Application Closing Date
22nd November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.