Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction and Environment Coordinator
Location: Sokoto, Nigeria
- The Construction and Environment Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating the implementation of all construction works and environmental management plans under the Aspire project in line with state & national guidelines, as well as donor’s requirements.
Dimensions of the Role
- The role of the Construction and Environment Coordinator is to provide technical support to the Aspire Project team in matters related to construction and environmental safeguarding.
The Construction and Environment Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Support state health agencies to conduct needs assessment for construction and rehabilitation works, provision of HCWM/IPC equipment and supplies, and training of health workers
- Site assessments for construction works, including optimal siting of proposed facilities
- Development of budget and workplan for project activities
- Identification of potential environmental, social and child safeguarding risks of the project including occupational health and safety concerns and issues around hazardous waste
- Develop and update project Construction Validation Plan
- Lead the development and implementation of environmental safeguard instruments for the project including Environmental Management Plans
- Review designs and BoQs for construction and rehabilitation works in line with national building code
- Coordinate with state ministry of health and other relevant MDAs before commencement of construction works to ensure smooth delivery
- Facilitate stakeholder consultations, including with children/adolescents from marginalized and under-represented groups, for proposed construction and other related activities
- Develop terms of reference for contractors, consultants and vendors
- Provide technical advice to inform decision on selection of contractors and construction consultants
- Develop and implement plan for management of construction waste including hazardous waste like asbestos
- Manage overall implementation of construction works in line with scope, budget and time
- Lead monitoring of construction and ensure works is carried out as per the agreed standards and in compliance with EMP and national/state environmental regulations, as well as safeguarding standards to ensure risks posed to children/adolescents as a result of the construction work is mitigated
- Supervise construction quality assurance consultants and review QA monthly reports
- Prepare and issue on behalf of Plan International a certificate of completion based of satisfactory quality checks on construction works
- Develop materials and coordinate training of health workers and community groups on Healthcare Waste Management and Infection Prevention and Control
- Support preparation of project reports for both organisational and donor requirements
- Design and develop IEC materials and knowledge management tools on HCWM, IPC and WASH
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the project manager
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- M.Sc or its equivalent in Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years relevant working experience in environmental risk management involving construction, health service delivery or WASH
- Working knowledge of relevant national, state guidelines and regulations on construction and environmental compliance
- Previous work experience on donor funded projects in Nigeria
Skills & Knowledge:
- Understanding of international standards in environmental protection, pollution control and climate change
- Sound knowledge of occupational health and safety concepts
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and other technical construction related documents
- Facilitation skills in stakeholder consultations for development projects and associated impacts
- Ability to use GPS devices and mapping software
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Works well in teams and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Ability to work collaboratively with safeguarding advisor to ensure construction plans and designs appropriately identify and mitigate potential risks to children/adolescents
- Languages: Excellent command of English
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behavior
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Application Closing Date
22nd November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online