Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Medecins Sans Frontieres provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Supervisor – CBN
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Period: Definite – 3 months
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned EH activities at project level, including but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, vector control, and dead bodies management
- Ensuring that the MSF procedures and protocols are followed by the EH teams to guarantee the operational quality of the project;
- Ensuring the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee an adequate running of EH activities;
- Ensuring the distribution of the materials and tools used in water treatment, hygiene and sanitation (e.g. physical organization and inventory of stocks, receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material, check that the amounts received are recorded, and check monthly consumptions, etc.);
- Supporting the EH Manager in ensuring an appropriate emergency preparedness and response capacity (physical verification of stocks, contacts, transport means, staff training). Ensuring appropriate assistance to the project response team and if required, participating in emergency activities or exploratory visits
- Supporting the EH Manager in the team planning (e.g. staff rosters and admin, HR processes, etc.) and informing and involving the EH Manager in case of any major management or technical issue, and providing all required reporting
- Planning and supervising the HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, tasks definition and internal and external communication) of the staff under his / her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity
- Participating in data collection and reporting as required
- In collaboration with Log Construction, participate actively in reviewing BOQs provided by contractors to ensure they match technical requirements for EH infrastructures/facilities (water tower, latrines, waste zone, laundry, etc.) construction in CBN site;
- Ensuring the contractors and daily workers abide by technical specifications provided by EHTL / EH Manager while constructing EH infrastructures / facilities;
- Under the supervision of the EH Activity Manager, organize and carry out all EH activities during the first phase (emergency phase) of the move to the new site, when the master plan will be being devised and after the commissioning of all the infrastructures in CBN site;
- Planning weekly activities under his responsibility in CBN and have them approved by the EH Manager:
- Draw up and submit a weekly task report and next week planning to the EH Manager;
- Plan human resources needs (daily workers, workers…);
- Plan tools and material needs (request stock form);
- Anticipate administrative issues (requests in advance);
- Anticipate logistics issues (transport, communication means…).
- Ensuring EH infrastructures and equipment are properly maintained and repaired to guarantee an adequate running of EH activities in CBN site;
- Supervise the supply of worksite and ensure the receipt, quality control and storage of EH material and equipment necessary for his / her work to be carried out on field;
- Help to develop and execute context-specific solutions to improve performance and collaboration with other Departments.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Technical diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
- EH / Watsan in Emergencies Training within or outside MSF is recommended.
- Previous experience in technical works and organising of multiple activities, preferably within MSF or similar work environment
- Minimum of 2-years of hands on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting;
- Desirable: Previous experience in cholera outbreak, Nutrition and waste management;
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and waste water management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in different contexts (disease outbreak, conflicts, natural disasters, refugee / IDP camps, etc.)
- Mission language essential; local language desirable
- Computer literacy, basic Knowledge in data management is an asset
- Results Teamwork Flexibility Commitment Stress Managemen
Application Closing Date
28th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant degrees, certificates and NYSC certificate / exemption Letters to: email@example.com using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
Send hard copy to: MSF Belgium Human Resources Office – FORI CV BOX
Note: MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.