The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) established to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates. MGIC has UMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as “country offices”) throughout sub-Saharan Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Central Laboratorian – COVID 19- Sero Prevalence Survey
Locations: Abuja, Kano,
Employment Type: Contract
- MGIC in collaboration with NCDC is conducting a population-based sero-epidemiologic survey to determine the sero- prevalence and transmission of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
- The State Lead will oversee the all survey activities in the State. The State Lead will support all Training and Field processes of the survey and report directly to the Project Director
Duties and Responsibilities
- COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (Real-time PCR) testing and diagnostic serological testing
- Participate in Laboratory Quality Assurance, Good Laboratory Practices, Bio-risk management
- Receive and accession each specific Knowledge and experience on Molecular biology and Serology with application to clinical diagnostics such as HIV viral load testing or other applications of quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (Real-time PCR) testing and diagnostic serological testing
- Experience in leading or participating in Laboratory Quality Assurance programs (LQMS/EQA knowledge of ISO15189 or ISO17025), Laboratory Facilities and Design, Good Laboratory Practices, Bio risk management (Biosafety & Biosecurity-ISO 35001:2019), etc.)
- Familiarity with WHO Biosafety Guidelines
- Inspection / auditing skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Good communication and writing skills
- Strong work ethic and self-starter, able to effectively manage multiple priorities and adapt to change
- Must be willing to work at the times required by the survey needs (this includes evenings, weekends and public holidays).
- Experience in entering data into a Laboratory Data Management System (LDMS) and process as per standard operating procedure
- Monitor the entire quality system from Pre-test, test and post-test which will include, occurrence management, daily/ weekly reviews of QC documentation, troubleshooting both equipment and QC failures
- Proper use of PPE based on risk assessment
- Laboratory logistics-inventory and management of laboratory supplies and reagents
- Handling and storing of controls and specimens
- Certification on Bio-risk management (Biosafety/Biosecurity), Laboratory QA or equivalent;
- Graduate of Biomedical sciences
- Master’s Degree relevant to the job
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- At least 2 years’ laboratory-based experience in molecular biology and serology with Bio-risk management training (biosafety & biosecurity).
- Experience in laboratory design, laboratory quality management program specialist or equivalent will be an asset
- At least 2 years work experience in research or hospital or clinical laboratories or equivalent
Application Closing Date
21st January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online