The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Regional Finance Director – West Africa
Requisition ID: req11581
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Reports to: Director of International Finance and Regional VPs.
- As a member of both the Global Finance Team and the Regional Leadership Team, the Regional Finance Director provides the leadership and management necessary to ensure that the organization has the appropriate financial infrastructure and systems in place at the country programs to support the strategic vision and mission of the organization.
- S/he will contribute to the development of the country programs strategic and operational plans and be accountable for ensuring and monitoring delivery against the financial plans through targeted and comprehensive financial analytical review.
- The Director is responsible for overseeing the financial and accounting management of the country programs and regional office within an assigned region. Emphasis will be placed on maintaining financial management practices and systems that are compliant with US and local laws as well as donor requirements but are also conducive to effective implementation of country programs.
- As Regional Finance Director, s/he will have responsibility for all aspects of strategic and operational finance across the region, acting as the principal finance business partner to the Regional VP, as well as conforming to IRCs financial control environment and CFO standards and objectives.
- Based in Nigeria in the West Africa Region, the Regional Finance Director will have dual reporting to the Director of International Finance and the respective Regional VP.
- S/he will work closely with the field-based Deputy Directors, Finance Country Directors, as well as regional counterparts in AMU, GSC, HR, IT and other functional departments.
Key Areas of Accountability
Strategic Planning & Analysis:
- Provide financial information which supports the Regional VP in making business decisions in line with IRC, Regional & Country Program strategies;
- Provide strategic analysis on the overall financial health of the country programs to the RVPs and HQ Finance and collaborate across the regional teams and with country programs on corrective actions and support plans;
- Contribute and provide feedback to the development of Country Programs Strategic Annual Plans and annual operating budgets;
Financial Management Oversight:
- Provide high quality financial and accounting support to IRC to ensure:
- Country Programs provide accurate and timely recording of accounting transactions
- Country Programs financial controls are in place and adhered to
- Country Programs comply with IRCs financial standards
- Regional team has visibility on financial health of country programs
- Prepare and review internal financial reports and ensure that management at headquarters and the regional and country office level are kept abreast of financial related issues of the country programs;
- Provide technical guidance and support as requested by the country offices;
- Ensure timely dissemination of new initiatives and polices to the field and monitoring of implementation;
- Develop expertise and maintain current on the rules and regulations of all donors, and provide guidance in the area of donor compliance.
Financial Systems & Business Process Improvement:
- Contribute to discussions on financial policy issues including the maintenance and development of the International Finance Manual;
- Serve as Integra Superuser and support the roll-out of the new system which will include training and technical support.
Regional Finance Support and Rick Mitigation:
- Conduct periodic support visits to the country programs following an approved scope of work;
- Review non-USG final financial reports, and European donor financial reports prior to submission to either the donor, IRC Germany or IRC-UK;
- Respond to ad hoc requests made by the Director of International Finance, the regional VPs or the country programs.
- Monthly Reviews of the financial health and risk identification shared with the Regional VP for action.
- Proactively identify potential risks and develop mitigation strategies in conjunction with the Regional VP.
- Internal/External Audit closure and corrective action plan development and tracking
- Attend all audit opening and exit meetings for audits conducted in region
- Perform the final financial review of the proposal document prior to approval and submission to the donor.
- Participate in regional SMT with strategic thinking, risk analysis and other engagement as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance – Master’s degree, CPA or equivalent experience a plus.
- Minimum five years progressive finance/accounting experience in the non-profit sector;
- Previous work experience in a multi-cultural international environment abroad is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated familiarity with GAAP and proven general knowledge of Fund Accounting;
- Previous work experience with a major general ledger software package – experience with MS D365 preferred;
- Proven knowledge of US Government and European Union regulations highly desirable;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment and diplomatically manage collegial relationships;
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced team environment;
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively in a team environment & independently and ability to meet unexpected demands;
- Strong Computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, various accounting software, and email/internet software;
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment;
- Ability to present complex financial information in a succinct and compelling manner;
- Experience of solving complex issues through analyses, definition of clear way forward and ensuring by in;
- The ability and willingness to travel to country programs.
- English and French fluency required.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online