In response to the ACE Partner call under the World Bank African Centres of Excellence (ACE) Impact project, seven ACEs have jointly established the West African Network of Infectious Diseases ACEs (WANIDA) to facilitate interactions, collaborations and networking among the infectious diseases ACEs, other health-related ACEs and non-ACE institutions in the sub-region, with an aim to address the inadequacies of existing health systems across Africa for responding to significant public health threats.
Application Deadline: 5th December 2020
About the Award: WANIDA seeks to promote greater cooperation between the participating institutions to pursue high quality research and excellence in training, with focus on the etiology of febrile illnesses across West Africa, and developing mechanisms for sharing research resources and technical expertise.
In line with its training mandate, the West African Network of Infectious Diseases ACEs (WANIDA) is accepting fellowship applications under the ACEPartner project for regional students enrolled in Master’s and PhD programmes at the following African Centres of Excellence (ACE):
- West African Centre for Cell Biology of Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP), University of Ghana, Legon, Accra, Ghana
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Mycotoxin and Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer’s University Nigeria, Ede, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University Kano, Kano, Nigeria
- Centre d’Excellence Africain en Innovations Biotechnologiques pour l’Élimination des Maladies à Transmission Vectorielle (ITECH-MTV), Université Nazi Boni, Burkina Faso
- Centre d’Excellence Africain – Prévention et Contrôle des Maladies Transmissibles (CEA-PCMT) Université Gamal Abdel Nasser, Conakry, Guinée
Type: Master’s, PhD
Eligibility: To be considered for a fellowship, applicants must:
- Be an African national enrolled as a regional student (non-national) in one of the above-listed ACEs in the 2020/2021 academic year
- Be interested in working on one of the following priority disease areas: COVID-19, HIV, malaria, tuberculosis, Ebola, Mycobacterial infections, neglected tropical diseases, food-borne pathogens
More details on eligibility can be found in the official advertisement documents in English and in French
Selection: Each application will be evaluated by the WANIDA Scholarship Committee. Candidates will be contacted by email.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The successful Master’s / PhD fellow will be supported with a partial scholarship, which can be applied towards:
- Research costs
Duration of Award: The duration of the funding is 2 years for Master’s programs and 4 years for PhD programs
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.