International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of
Procurement Manager -to be based in Maiduguri
Job ID: MDG/LOG/09
Nigerian nationals only.
Years of experience:- 3-4 years
Closing date 22 Nov 2020
Under the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator, the Procurement Manager will design an effective supply chain program to promote quality programming in the region. He/she will lead IMC’s Procurement operational support structure, committed to provide reliable and timely program activities support, evaluate the types of market available within Nigeria: 1) determine what the markets can offer in terms of range of materials supplies, products and services; 2) determine the geographical distribution and nature of the local markets; 3) analyze human resources available to support the Procurement Service and 4) come up with Procurement ‘best’ practice of other organizations operating in Nigeria that can be mirrored as per of benchmarking.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1: Procurement (Local and Global):
- Ensure the day-to-day coordination of the procurement team to promote timely supply of goods and services for program support;
- Enforce adherence to IMC Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in procurement of goods and services;
- Streamline procurement activities by making sure requisite tools that handle an effective procurement are used in various levels of procurement activities;
- Upgrade IMC procurement tools and templates and seek management’s approval when necessary;
- Identify gaps and bottlenecks in the procurement management procedures and suggest remedies for corrective measures when necessary;
- Enforce the use of procurement tracking system by various departments and share updated version during Senior Management Team Meetings and other periodic review sessions when necessary;
- Coordinate with Operations, Project Coordinators and Pharmacy staff to provide updated information about medical commodities, WASH materials and other program support materials for timely use likewise develop mitigation plans for bottleneck and commodities supplies and delivery;
- Mentor and provide capacity building support to procurement staff and other relevant employees where applicable for efficiency in the supply chain team likewise enforce teamwork with other program staff;
- Participate in project planning meetings to help identify challenges and capacity issues with program staff for timely intervention and solutions to procurement related problems;
- Monitor program request and required purchase requisitions to make sure respective coding are done in line with budgets, respective project activities and assigned grant codes;
- Ensure new staff receive appropriate inductions on procurement systems and processes for newly hired staff when necessary;
- Lead and coordinate all global procurements and remain the country focal point person on global procurements;
- Establish and maintain good contacts with suppliers, government offices, logistics sector/cluster, UN agencies and other NGOs with regards to logistical matters;
- Establish Blanket Purchase Agreements (long term frame-work agreements) for main supplies and services and ensure they are awarded/updated accordingly at the appropriate time.
- Proactively conveying procurement progress updates to the appropriate senior logistics personnel and all relevant parties, anticipating any future risks, issues or key developments that the wider team should know;
- Ensure liaison and the role of focal person between appropriate senior logistics personnel, the logistics support staff and program staff including Global Procurement team at Headquarters;
- Share key project/local process messages with the logistics support staff, as well as proactively provide feedback to appropriate senior logistics personnel on behalf of the procurement team.
3. Capacity Building:
- Organize procurement capacity building sessions for in-house trainings, mentoring and distant trainings via skype with the supply chain staff;
Provide guidance on career paths for Procurement staff when necessary through frequent capacity needs assessments.
The Procurement Manager must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, he/she maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree in Logistics or relevant field (i.e. Business Administration, Purchasing and Supply, Finance) desired or minimum 5 years-experience in Logistics and Procurement. Certification in Humanitarian Logistics Supply Chain (required if no academic degree)
· Extensive experience (4 to 6 years) in humanitarian logistics management within the field of supply chain management (procurement, tendering, contracting, clearance, transport, warehousing, etc.), distribution support,
· Proven record on the ability and experience of the management of Procurement at a senior level
· Commitment and demonstrated skills to build staff capacity in the areas of Procurement management, supervision and monitoring.
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
· Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills. Experience in remote management.
· Ability to work in participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities.
· Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural team.
· Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas,
· Some record of experience with donor (especially, OFDA, ECHO, DFID, BPRM, UN-Agencies specific procedures,
· Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas,
· Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
· Fluent English Written and Spoken
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Mission Procurement staff (Procurement Officers – Procurement Assistant)
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Any other duties that may be assigned from time by supervisors
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
How to apply
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted. **
All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps via the email: email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity organization so Borno State Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Candidates MUST state the position, location and JOB ID (MDG/LOG/09) they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.