The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Associate, USAID Finance & Operations
Locations: Nigeria (Abuja), USA (Washington DC), Kenya (Nairobi)
Travel required: 10%
Classification: D4 – Senior Associate
- The Senior Associate, USAID Finance and Operations will work closely with the Head of North American Operations and the Manager for USAID Finance and Compliance.
- They will manage the day-to-day operations of GAIN’s portfolio of USAID funded awards.
- They will be responsible for ensuring effective donor reporting and compliance processes are in place for USAID funded projects, ensuring GAIN is adequately managing its finance, compliance, and procurement responsibilities.
- They will gain exposure to budgeting, forecasting, programme audit, donor reporting, workplan / proposal development, and deferred income reconciliation. All of this will involve significant dealings with finance and non-finance staff based in GAIN’s global offices.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Serve as finance / compliance focal point for a portfolio of awards, including general financial management and processes, subaward financial management, and accounting
- Ensure project reporting is reviewed on a monthly basis with implementing managers and that cost allocations made appropriately for the donors
- Ensure all reports, invoices, etc. are submitted accurately and on time to donors with sufficient variance analysis and context to enable transparency for donors assigned to this post
- Ensure and validate staff allocation for assigned projects
- Support organisation and execution of programme and statutory audits
- Manage the financial aspects of work-planning and periodic financial reviews / modifications, while facilitating
- effective linkages between GAIN finance / technical staff, country programmes, and partners
- Develop, analyse and monitor budgets; monitor and track obligations and expenditures against approved budgets, escalating issues as they arise
- Support annual budget and quarterly forecasting cycles
- Ensure project cash flow and restricted income balance is correctly managed
- Ensure project financial information is seamlessly integrated into GAIN financial and project management systems
- Support management of consultants’ contracts, liaising with technical teams to track and review payments
- Prepare documentation for recurring compliance tasks including NICRA calculation, PVO and SAM registration, etc.
- Support preparation of GAIN’s annual form 990
- Support contracting / subaward processes (e.g., donor agreements, procurement, teaming agreements, travel) ensuring execution according to GAIN’s policies and procedures as well as USAID / USG requirements (2 CFR 200, FAR, AIDAR as applicable).
- Respond to and provide direct support to technical teams in country and in GAIN’s representative offices and to partners regarding contract compliance
- Ensure programme funded assets are managed in accordance with GAIN and award requirements.
- Provide training and orientation to staff and partners on donor rules and regulations in line with the grant agreement. as well as the organisation’s policies and procedures.
- Recommend strategies to improve business processes
- Represent GAIN at meetings with external stakeholders (e.g., USAID, prime, subaward recipients)
- Provide budgeting support and critical review on funding proposals
- Support recruitment and onboarding of project (local and country) staff and consultants
- Other duties as assigned
Key Organisational Relationships:
- Reports to the Head of North American Operations (primary) and
- Works closely with Manager, USAID Finance and Compliance
- Works closely with other team members and with relevant Programme Delivery staff.
- Liaises with network of partners, consultants and experts, who provide support to the programme
- Relevant Bachelor’s or Associates degree
- Experience in USAID finance and compliance
- Experience in international development with experience in a developing country context preferred
- Strong analytical / problem-solving skills and a passion for learning
- An enthusiastic team player but able to work independently on donor portfolio
- Consults widely across teams and shares information and knowledge on a timely basis.
- Anticipates external and / or internal client’s questions and concerns and escalate issues when required.
- Keen attention to detail and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Effective communicator demonstrated on both financial and narrative reporting
- Talented in MS Office, particularly Excel
- Experience reporting using tools such as cubes/MS Analysis Services, Jet Reports, Tableau, or similar
- Experience with Dynamics NAV or Serenic Navigator would be an advantage
- Proficiency in USAID regulations, particularly as applicable to awards to non-US NGOs
- Proven ability to use initiative, prioritise, multi‐task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
About Our Offer
Starting salary for this role is listed per location below:
- USA: USD 71,400 – 76,514
- Nigeria: NGN 7,012,999 – 8,004,527
- Keyna: KES 2,428,365 – 2,778,189
In addition to a competitive salary, GAIN offers 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays), flexible working and professional development opportunities. We will support you to grow your career and offer this in a supportive, collaborative environment. Additional, country specific benefits may apply.
What Gain Offers
- Flexible working hours
- Friendly working environment
- Professional development opportunities
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online