The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
Webcruiter ID: 4310670064
Loation: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
Start date: 01.01.2021
End date: 31.12.2021
Overview / Description
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- We are looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator for Nigeria. The purpose of the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator is to support the implementation of the M&E strategy and processes. Using NRC’ standards, he/she will ensure that quality standards and learning are integrated into programme implementation. By promoting contextual data analysis/visualization, the M&E coordinator will support the programme team to develop, update and consolidate planning, monitoring and learning tools.
- The Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator reports to the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Support and contribute to the development and implementation of M&E systems, including M&E SOPs, guidance and tools.
- Support programme staff in planning for and executing M&E, including, data collection methodology and tools and data management, analysis and use.
- Support the implementation, dissemination and use of evaluations, assessments and monitoring data in programme development, adjustment or review.
- Contribute to organisational learning through supporting specific analysis, lessons learned and reports.
- Contribute to capacity building and training of programme and M&E support staff on M&E.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly:
- Implement systems to promote evidence-based decision-making through quality programming and effective programme and project performance at country level. Ensure that the country office delivers on internal and external M&E requirements and standards in a timely manner and with quality data.
- Contribute to project and program planning, kick-offs and review meetings, including preparing and sharing monitoring data on progress and challenges.
- Support programme team to develop requisite M&E tools (M&E matrix, indicator reference protocols, Indicator performance tracking tables and quality benchmarks).
- Ensure planning tools are context-sensitive (eg: Covid 19) and ensure that gender is integral to M&E activities.
- Technically support needs assessments, post distribution monitoring surveys and outcomes surveys.
- Analyse data focusing on correlation, causation and provide quality support and advice to programme team, including through field monitoring visits, inputs to programmatic reports and quality control of distributions and post distributions.
- Refer to NRC’s standards and processes and support monthly data review, assess gaps and develop plans to fill those gaps in consultation with the program team.
- In close collaboration with programme staff, ensure that monthly data are reviewed and entered into an internal data management platform.
- Support project, program and country regular monitoring and reporting, including internal and donor reporting so that reports are evidence-based and include relevant quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide capacity building, coaching and training to programme staff to ensure that M&E standards is consistently and systematically integrated in all programmes/ projects.
- In collaboration with the M&E Manager, develop a monthly M&E report to present trends, gaps at the country level.
- Develop a systematic method of capturing qualitative stories and project effects on beneficiary communities.
- Work with technical and field teams to identify key methodologies to enable advocacy and campaigning impact measurement, document lessons learnt and disseminate findings.
- Maintain a central and systematic information and knowledge management system whereby relevant project information, data and lessons of programs are accessible for use as required.
- Support that learning is built into programme activities, ensuring that findings and lessons learnt are shared and used in an appropriate way to inform ongoing implementation and future programming.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- At least 4 years’ experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting, including M&E capacity and systems development.
- Thorough experience with and knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation in relief and development programs, using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Understanding of data and information needs for program management and decision making.
- Experience in capacity building efforts using formal and non-formal methods.
- High level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Good organisational skills, the ability to pay close attention to detail and report in a timely manner.
- A flexible and initiative-taking attitude with the ability to be proactive in working with others and have very good interpersonal skills.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Advanced English Language level (Business English is a plus)
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access).
- Experience in using at least Stata, Nvivo, CAPI systems (CSPro, Kobocollect) and Power BI.
- Knowledge of ArcGis, Gretl, Salford-Predictive-Miner (SPM), XLMiner, WasHMIS collect, Tableau is a plus.
- Good experience in classification, regression, missing value analysis, data binning and clustering/segmentation.
- Ability to synthesise a considerable volume of technical material.
- Strategic thinking
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments.
We Can Offer
- Commencement: 1st January, 2021
- Duration: 12 months (renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions – Grade Level: Grade 7
- Duty station: Maiduguri
- Travel: 50% travels outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
22nd November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.