Arup – Newcastle upon Tyne
Graduate Geotechnical Engineer – Infrastructure
Location: Belfast, Birmingham (Solihull), Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Newcastle
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our Geotechnical Engineers apply their specialist skills to buildings and infrastructure projects across the globe. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in a wide variety of projects including highways, rail, energy, waste, water, mining, education, sports and leisure facilities, government/commercial and industrial buildings.
As one of the world’s leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule, on budget, and increasingly sustainably, but without compromise.
As Arup continues to focus on digital transformation, we seamlessly combine digital and data-related capabilities with Arup’s traditional engineering and design strengths to help solve complex problems more efficiently and offer new ways of working in this digital age.
Are you interested in a career in Geotechnics?
We are looking for graduates to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and guided towards gaining professional accreditation.
You will help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we will give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
The Graduate Geotechnical Engineer will be working in a multi-disciplinary office supported by other geotechnical engineers of all levels of experience. You will have the opportunity to work in multi-disciplinary design teams including Rail, Water, Civil, Tunnelling, Buildings and Bridges. You will focus on geotechnical aspects at all stages of the project lifecycle, including initial desk studies, ground investigation, geotechnical design, carbon management and site monitoring roles.
You’ll have excellent engineering knowledge supplemented with a good understanding of sustainable development principles, digital design and automation. Experience of design projects would be beneficial.
Our operating structure requires you to support the team across the sub region you work within and may require you to work in any of our offices from time to time to support workload, network development and skill development. You will also have the opportunity to work in the field, ranging from site walkovers and ground investigations, to activities in the construction environment.
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical know-how, with the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Degree qualified to a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or similar subject, at 2.1 or above (predicted or attained)
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and demonstrate an ability to learn new software within a working environment that utilises 3D design and digital automation
- Some experience with coding languages, finite element software, or digital design would be beneficial
- Some knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, carbon management or Planetary Boundaries would be beneficial
- Enthusiasm for a career in Geotechnics, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Ability to communicate effectively, work well within a team and possess an analytical mindset
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Have a basic understanding of the principles of Eurocode
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we’re open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Job Type: Full-time
- Temporarily due to COVID-19