Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Reference: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00043
Location: Damboa, Borno
Position Status: Full-time Regular Employee
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and Finance Manager, the Assistant Finance Officer will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented.
- Record payment vouchers daily in the Field Connection/ sub journal.
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to Maiduguri Finance.
- File all cash vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Supervisory Responsibility:
- N / A
- Reports Directly to: Finance Officer – Damboa
- Works Directly with: Finance, Operations and program team in Damboa
Knowledge And Experience:
- One year of book-keeping, banking or cashiering experience is a plus.
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field is desirable.
- Good understanding of computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Knowledge of Hausa is preferred.
- Working experience in Damboa LGA is a plus.
- Locals from Damboa are strongly advised to apply for this position
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics, as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures,is essential. A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title & Reference Number” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.