Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reference Number: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00042
Location: Damboa, Borno
Position Status: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Deputy Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will assist the Finance department to ensure the accuracy and completeness of accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle and the routine daily accounting tasks and payment.
- The Finance Officer will assist in review and analyze records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy And Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance And Accounting Management:
- Assist in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and project.
- Maintain the cash and bank files, ensuring that all information is properly filed and updated
- Ensure the on-time submission of the monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting packages and ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledgers, and all supporting documentation.
- Ensure all staff advances are tracked and cleared on time.
- Support the Finance Assistant to manage the archiving of all financial documents.
- Ensure the petty cash count performed as per the policy.
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Assist in the training of support staff on Finance related matters and give any financial operational support needed.
- Deploy to the other field when needs gaps arise.
- Assist the Finance Manager in Maiduguri in responding to audit inquiries.
- Assist the Finance department to enhance the efficiency of existing control systems.
Grant And Compliance Management:
- Monitoring and tracking the stock of the program vouchers and ensure all the supporting documents are in place before any vouchers released.
- Assist in preparing the voucher reconciliation reports to the respective managers after the deputy Finance Manager approval, and follow up with any enquires from the program.
- Coordinate with Deputy Finance Manager, and provide close monitoring for program voucher activities and make sure all vouchers activities follow the Cash SoPs.
- Assist the team in reviewing vouchers contracts.
- Support the capacity-building program for Mercy Corps Staff as well as vendors.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- N / A
- Reports Directly toDeputy Finance Manager, Maiduguri.
- Works Directly withFinance, Operations, and program team in deep field and Maiduguri Others
Knowledge And Experience
- Two or more years of Finance experience is required.
- A university degree in finance, accounting, economic or equivalent is required.
- Demonstrated experience in accounting.
- Understanding of basic international donor’s rules and regulations.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior experience with NGO is preferred.
- Previous experience in insecure environments is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Knowledge of Hausa is preferred.
- Working experience in Damboa LGA is a plus
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- She/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to other locations such as Maiduguri, Damboa, Dikwa, Ngala, Gwoza, Bama and other LGAs of Northeast programs based on the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title & Reference Number” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.