The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has IJMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as ‘country offices’) throughout sub-Saliaran Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements with UMB.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Systems Specialist
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports To: Monitoring and Evaluation Lead
Work Schedule: M-F, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Grade Level: Aligns with Country Salary Structure
Position Type: Full-time staff position
- The Health Informatics Data Systems Specialist designs and implements new features and technologies, and delivers high quality, high-performance code in an agile environment
- This position will lead the design, development and maintenance of complex solutions with a focus on quality performance, and resiliency
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and routinely update all processes, standard operating procedures and documents for software management for the organization
- Perform In-Process Review including Code Walkthroughs
- Evaluate various solution options
- Create TDD (Technical Design Documents)
- Create, Review & Approve Design & Solutions
- Map Solution from business viewpoint
- Engage with client on requirements and application
- Participate in requirements analysis, design and test plan creations and test result verification
- Advise for production environment set up
- Breaking down large scale projects into manageable chunks
- Oversee the work being done by other software engineers working on the team, coordinating team activities with other learns and product groups, maintaining software architecture standards.
- Consistently defines and applies technologies, standards and software engineering practices, mentoring other team members
- Lead and Direct software engineering resources to ensure timely and quality delivery of services.
- Responsible for mentioning junior talent as well as directing technical staff through technical challenges, tasks and projects.
- Develop key product features within existing large-scale enterprise applications & new strategic initiatives.
- Participate in the full SDLC involving design, implementation, testing, and launching.
- Assist with the generation and analysis of business and functional requirements for proposed software solutions.
- Participate in and sometimes lead architectural and database design discussions as they relate to product direction.
- Create design specifications, documentation, and unit testing plans as defined by the Agile development process.
- Generate data for project planning, including task breakdown arid estimation of work for a project Trader status within the project as necessary.
- Delegates tasks to project team members to balance work and increase team cross-training
- Raises long-term architecture issues within project
- Own the delivery of arm entire piece of a system or application, and serve as a technical lead on small to midsize complex projects.
- Build software solutions where the problem is not well defined. Design and define the interaction between the other component pieces.
- Maintain aid support software solutions post-production.
- Implements and debugs some of the more involved/complex functionality.
- Collaborate with the government and other stakeholders on e-initiatives by attending TWG meetings, and implementation of all activities designed by the government
- Attend designated meetings in relation to cross cutting issues a different levels e.g. within organization (learn lead meetings, general staff meetings), outside (GON, various Partners meetings)
- Maintain reports and document that are consistent with the task at hand and available to all concerned parties via emails or standard archiving option
- Connects easily with supervisees and colleagues at all levels in a professional manner
- Generate solutions or approaches to the most demanding problems within lime team
- Establish workable, prioritized, and highly effective problem-solving plans for each problem
Mode of Evaluation:
- Biannual updated SOP for team
- Reports of representation attended (meetings, TWGs)
- Responses via email to supervisees, colleagues & management on key issues
- Documentation of innovative new ideas or problem-solving initiative
- Employee assessment of supervisor
Team Coordination and Supervision
- Provide appropriate mentoring and support to each supervisee addressing their individual assigned task (one on one physical visits, monthly meetings and documentation communication to each / all supervisees)
- Give supervisees the information, technology aid reference materials necessary to perform their jobs
- Assign task to supervisees to build their capacity and demonstrate their skills in the task in:
- Site support Each supervises should have a copy of what sites have been assigned to them with a detailed SOW
- Developments: specific roles of each staff who be documented and communicate to the staff for each development activity
- Desk activities: Each supervisee should be made swarm of the sites that they are responsible for reporting. Feedback on reporting rates aid quality of data entered should be shared and discussed with supervises routinely
- Conduct annual performance development plan and appraisal for each supervises.
- Recommend performance awards and/or merit increases when appropriate. As merit increases and award programs are implemented, supervisors will be required to provide evaluations that demonstrate the performance of eligible supervisees
- Sign monthly timesheets and approve requests for time off. Your signature on a time record means you concur with the hours worked as recorded by your supervisee, inducting time taken off that may result in the supervisees inability to complete the required task
- Identity aid support supervisees to complete at least 1 capacity building activity Within the year relevant to the project
- Help supervisees address and resolve a wide variety of concerns and complaints. These typically involve job duties and job description, performance standards, and relations with coworkers.
Mode of evaluation:
- Annual PDPs aid appraisals
- Quarterly documented feedback and coaching discussions (Dec, Mar, Jun &Sep)
- Quarterly scare cad of Work plan/assigned task aid achievements
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar technical discipline; or equivalent
- 5years systems development experience
- Successful full life-cycle implementation of a least 2 major projects
- Experience with software development methodology and release processes Excellent knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces and hardware subsystems
- Possess different industries as a technical architect, from playing the structure of a large scale records database to the redesigning of a shop’s e-commerce facility, to name a few
- Experience in software development aid coding in various languages (C#, .NET, Java etc)
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework
- Possesses full working knowledge of technologies such as UNlX, Oracle, SQL Server and TCP / IP for example, as well as knowledge of one or more programming languages
- Strong organizational, time management, computer and communication skills, leadership, coaching aid team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationship to help achieve organization goat.
- Ability to multi-task, Analytical skills, Ability to follow verbal or written instructions, Thinking analytically, Communication, Using effective verbal communication, Using effective written communication, Handing stress & emotions, Concentrating on task, Making decisions, Adjusting to change, Examining / observing details, sitting for long periods at a time
Interpersonal / Individual Competencies:
- Ability to work with other team member, flexibility, decisiveness and personal integrity
- Required level of proficiency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
Application Closing Date
16th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online