The DAAD , Regional Director wishes to inform all staff and students that the call for Applications for the 2021 In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme for Eastern Africa is now open!
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020.
About the Award: This programme is open to individual Master and PhD students in the Sub-Saharan Africa region who wish to study either in their home countries or at selected host institutions in other African countries. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand for academically trained personnel.
The DAAD will be conducting Web seminars from Thursday, 29 October 2020 and the very final one on 09 December 2020 from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm EAT. The links to join in the Web seminars for next couple of weeks can be found here:
Thursday, 29 October 2020 from 2:00 pm -3:00 pm EAT: https://bit.ly/32Hcu7u
Tuesday, 03 November 2020 from 2:00 pm -3:00 pm EAT: https://bit.ly/31H50QU
Thursday, 05 November 2020 from 2:00 pm -3:00 pm EAT: https://bit.ly/3onUU0W
Please see the attached flyer for the event schedule of the web seminars.
Also, on offer are virtual visiting hours every Thursday from 10 am – 11 am EAT. To visit, please register at https://www.daad.or.ke/en/online-seminar-schedule/.
Type: Masters, PhD
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Refer to the Call for Scholarship Applications 2021 for additional requirements and documents to be submitted.
Eligible Countries: The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree (Master’s courses) or a Master’s degree (PhD courses), either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home.
To be Taken at (Country): The scholarship is open to citizens and permanent residents of sub-Saharan Africa to study in selected institutions in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia and Sudan.
Number of Awards: Numerous
Value of Award:
- University tuition fees
- research allowance (once a year)
- monthly stipend
- travel allowance (in-region only)
- health insurance (in-region only)
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of the scholarship.
Duration of Award: The duration of the Master programme is generally two years and for PhD programme is generally three years (regular period of studies). Please check with the selected host institutions the exact start dates of the programme.
How to Apply: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the DAAD application deadline as well as host institution’s deadline.
Applicants must first apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. Please refer to the Call for Application 2021 for the specific link to the funding programme in the DAAD portal.
Parallel to this process, applicants must at the same time apply for admission at the selected host institution using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The host institution/universities have set their own deadlines. Please inform yourself about the respective admission processes and deadlines at the host institution. Reach out to the institution’s website or contact person at the host institution for more information.
More information on how to register via the DAAD portal can be found here.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.