Job no: 498577
Work type: Contract
WYG, a Tetra Tech company, is delivering the DFID-funded United Kingdom Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (UKNIAF), a £72.8m technical assistance facility which aims to improve the lives of some of Nigeria’s poorest people by improving the way infrastructure is designed and delivered in the country.
The UKNIAF programme is active across the Federal Road Network (FRN), Power and Infrastructure finance sectors. Working with the Federal Government of Nigeria, selected state governments and the wider international community, it aims to catalyse a transformational change in livelihoods across Nigeria by unblocking obstacles to growth.
The Roads Component of the UKNIAF programme will enhance the delivery of improvements in Federal Road Networks as well as ongoing reforms in legislation regarding roads. The Federal Road Network carries 70% of the nation’s economic traffic but is in poor condition. Road sector reform is the essential foundation which will support and enable improved road infrastructure in Nigeria. However, to achieve a transformational improvement in the way public money is spent on road assets and maintain a network that is fit-for-purpose, the overhaul of roads sector governance reform must be coupled with two other initiatives:
• Improvements in asset management practices, tools and capabilities to help improve decision making and project prioritization.
• Improvements to the budgeting, management and execution of road construction and maintenance projects, to ensure that the recommendations of the asset management process are delivered efficiently.
The purpose of this role is for a Short-Term Expert (STE) with expertise in road maintenance to assess the current the current status of maintenance works within the Federal Road Network.
The STE is required establish current status of maintenance works by MDA’s and define a way forward aimed at improving the project delivery process. The STE will have the following core responsibilities:
- Participating in the first working groups (WGs) general meeting.
- Preparing and finalising a detailed review framework for the subject area: road maintenance works.
- Coordinating and undertaking participatory review process on roads and bridges maintenance practices in current use by MDAs with particular attention to the following:
- Current status and applicability of manuals and guidelines in current use.
- Appropriateness of works execution methods.
- Quality assurance and quality control.
- Use of local materials.
- Sector capacity to undertake works on the FRN.
- Availability and quality of training facilities and training materials.
- Ease of access to technical information and propose improvements.
- Monitoring of progress and impacts of projects.
- Preparation of a findings and recommendations report on the shortcomings in road maintenance processes applied on the FRN.
- Contributing to the preparation of draft and final strategy paper and implementation plan for improving project delivery on the FRN.
- Attending WGs, Joint WGs and Stakeholder Workshops.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS (KPI’s)
KPIs are likely to evolve over the life of the programme however at the outset they will include:
• Reviewed approach brief with recommend amendments provided for final version
• Project Delivery Improvement Strategy and Implementation Plan – Contributory Notes
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Post graduate degree in Civil Engineering or similar directly related discipline
- A minimum of 15 years professional experience with roads and bridges construction and maintenance
- Must have a good track record of relevant work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience with planning and management of routine and periodic maintenance works
- Experience in use of various forms of contract for maintenance works
- Ability to use the following software package is a requirement: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS PowerPoint
- Ability to use software applications for undertaking mass survey will be an added advantage.
- Must have proven skills in liaison with various stakeholders
- Must be able to communicate clearly verbally and make presentations to large audiences
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in the English language are essential
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a CV demonstrating experience against the person requirements. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications close: 30 October 2020
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO), and the European Union (EU). Our people are focused on improving lives by working side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth, and good governance.
Tetra Tech International Development is part of Tetra Tech, a global family of experts providing international development services in over 13 key practice areas in over 100 countries around the world. Tetra Tech serves the major aid markets in the UK and Europe, as well as the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Department of State, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and multilateral development banks.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all of our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
Advertised: 27 Oct 2020 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Applications close: 30 Oct 2020 (11:55 PM) W. Central Africa Standard Time