Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Independent Evaluation for Action Against Hunger’s Intervention Social Protection Study
Organization: Action Contre la Faim France (Action Against Hunger France)
Career Category: Monitoring and Evaluation
Themes: Food and Nutrition Health Protection and Human Rights
Rationale for the Project:
- The ongoing humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria continues to impact civilians negatively. In Yobe state, conflict-affected households have experienced socioeconomic and human losses and struggle to build their resilience following the loss of household assets and being in a situation of displacement; a majority have remained displaced for over years. Although, significant populations have returned from the government approved camps to their homes in Yobe state, conflicted affected households continue to require support to improve their situation of nutrition and food insecurity.
- ACF has launched the ‘Scaling up Nutrition in Yobe’ project being implemented in collaboration and with the support of Yobe State government to address the humanitarian crisis through an integrated approach that integrates WASH, nutrition and health services, including CMAM and IYCF support and food security & livelihoods.
- The multi-sectoral approach aims to contribute towards the reduction of morbidity and mortality rates among pregnant and lactating women and children under five years of age, by improving their nutritional status through the early prevention, detection and treatment of malnutrition and communicable diseases and improved access and demand driven provision of maternal and child health services within support health facilities.
- The initiative will also aim to improve hygiene behaviors and access to sanitation solutions, as well as providing improved access to adequate water to targeted beneficiaries, facilities and communities in pilot LGAs. Importantly, efforts are made to strengthen systems through improved capacity for skills and knowledge development of the health worker force at the state level and coordination, collaboration, advocacy among health and nutrition partners, government and other relevant humanitarian stakeholders for the overall improved provision of services.
Geographical scope covered by the analysis:
- The geographical scope of the analysis will cover Nangere LGA in Yobe State.
Purpose and Objectives of the Study
Objectives of the Evaluation:
- The government of Nigeria has made some progress in implementing social protection programmes since 2004 – with the enactment of the Federal social protection strategy. This led to the rolling out of key social protection programmes leading to several breakthroughs over the past few years thus moving away from the inconsistent, small-scale, and adhoc programming a more sustained programmes like:
- Conditional cash transfer (CCT) for the most vulnerable
- The National Home Grown School Feeding (NHGSF) programme
- N-Power, a youth employment and job creation programme
- The Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme (GEEP)
Profile of the Evaluator
The study will be carried out by a consultant with the following profile:
- Proven consultancy experience in similar contexts of not less than six years;
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Economics, or Social Science/ Public Policy/ Nutrition/ Health Policy with some demonstrated quantitative training);
- Knowledge and practical experience in Food Security and Livelihood sectors with particular experience on social protection, cash-based-interventions, agriculture, nutrition security and nutrition;
- Background in social sciences/psycho-social area, and experience in caring practices and complementary feeding;
- Significant field experience in similar studies and evaluation of humanitarian / development projects;
- Good communications and workshop facilitation skills and experience;
- Good quality report with clear and practical recommendations
- Understanding of donor requirements ( FCDO) and familiarity with Nigeria’s SP policy and practices
- Ability to manage the available time and resources and to work to tight deadlines;
- Independence from the parties involved;
- Familiarity with the context of the humanitarian situation in Northeast Nigeria will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
30th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their expression of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “PD-ABU-01165-001EoIDFID F1E Social Protection” as the subject of the email.
Note: Email subject should be “PD-ABU-01165-001EoIDFID F1E Social Protection” in order to receive the full ToR. Proposal without request of the full ToR will not accepted.