The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Budget Officer
Institution: ECOWAS Parliament
Grade: P2 / P3
Directorate: Administration & Finance
Line Supervisor: Budget Officer
Under the supervision of the Budget Officer, the incumbent shall assist with preparation of periodic reports on budget transactions such as reports on the status of budgetary accounts at the Parliament.
Role And Responsibilities
- Prepare commitment orders for the payment of goods and services;
- Prepare commitment orders for the retirement of all advances related to sessions, meetings and missions;
- Commit all receipts (community levy, refunds and other receipts) in favour of the institution;
- Reconcile on a weekly basis commitment orders (input data) to budget distribution statements (output data) and master file records to ascertain accuracy of processing;
- Prepare or evaluate financial reports such as budgeted vs. actual expenditure or commitment;
- Interpret and apply budget and finance rules and regulations;
- Receive and evaluate regular financial reports with particular attention to apparent anomalies or unusual trends; bring anomalies to the attention of the Manager and initiate corrections as indicated;
- Prepare routine, recurrent reports to management and draft commentaries;
- Prepare preliminary budget projections;
- Define requirements and user needs for automated systems;
- Assist etc;
- Assists in the coordination of inputs (e.g., for preparation of budgetary submissions);
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance from a recognized University.
- 2 years progressive experience in Accounting, Finance, Budget, Business Administration or related area is required;
- Familiarity with administrative and financial policies and procedures with a basic practical understanding of broad theories, concepts and approaches;
- Ability to provide support services in collecting and analyzing data for anomalies, trends, errors, and answers using various methods and techniques.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in and successfully complete tasks at hand;
- Demonstrated experience leading conversations that will either provide participants with new information, ideas or awareness or elicit feedback;
- Ability to positively influence co-workers when faced with challenges and work problems to help trigger solutions and build confidence;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to lead in the management of own career and performance and to seek assistance/coaching when required.
Client Service Orientation:
- Well-developed client service skills including a positive attitude, creative thinking skills, good work ethic, teamwork experience, time management skills, flexibility;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve problems and improve quality and/or quantity of work by identifying alternative solutions and discussing appropriateness/approach with supervisor;
- Strong desire to help others and capacity to empathize to generate mutual understanding;
- Ability to work as part of a team in supporting and addressing the needs of clients and stakeholders;
- Ability to multitask and to meet client service/stakeholder management standards and objectives of pertinence to assigned responsibilities.
Multicultural Sensitivity & Advocacy:
- Ability to perceive the moods and feelings of others from various cultural backgrounds, and to understand interests, needs, and perspectives so as to prevent/address misunderstandings and complaints;
- Well-developed ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds and sound understanding of diverse cultural differences especially within west Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand and internalize the need for diversity management in every day workplace practices;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to factor in diversity when providing services, responding to requests, recognizing and releasing preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals.
Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions;
- Ability to explain the ECOWAS programs and projects relevant to tasks and demonstrated understanding of data used by the department/institution/agency, including knowing where data resides in the system, the ability to see how the data in the system interrelates and how data entries and changes may impact data in other parts of the system.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards in emailing, reporting, correspondence, etc. and to accept and implement changes as directed.
Analytical & Critical Thinking:
- Excellent numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data systematically.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in conducting primary and secondary research activities in accordance with instructions and/or best practices in research techniques (e.g. interviews, tests, desk research);
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in reasoning and to articulate findings clearly;
- Ability to use creativity and initiative in the generation of alternative solutions to a problem;
- Ability to gather, analyze and arrange information in a logical sequence.
- Ability to provide useful feedback when asked and to use feedback constructively when given;
- Demonstrated ability to use computers with superior word-processing skills and proficiency in the use of data base (e.g. access), spreadsheets (e.g. excel), inter/intranet, email and social media;
- Tact, diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills;
- Ability to write accurate, clear and well-organized text;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
Planning & Implementation:
- Well established time management skills with the ability to make well-considered/reasoned decisions regarding own work and to follow them through;
- Ability to use action planning skills, set priorities, develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve goals of relevance to own work area;
- Ability to work well and meet objectives of tasks when under pressure or when exposed to uncertainties, challenges and/or changing work environments;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team/work unit goals and plans as well as to collective decision-making.
The position is on Grade P2-1 with an Annual Salary of UA19,769, equivalent to US$31,191.
Application Closing Date
19th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more information