Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center (SC), Nutrition Feeding Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Starting date: 16th November, 2020
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021
General Objective / Summary
- Under the supervision of the SC Nurse, the SC Feeding Assistance is responsible to provide the nutrition care plan, formulate and make available therapeutic foods for the assigned patients in the SC ward.
- S/ is in charge to provide nutrition education and counselling for the caregivers and ensure that the patients and their caretakers receive maximum care and support while in the stabilization centre.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Feeding and Patient Care:
- Assist in the SC admissions of the severely malnourished children with complications
- Explain the caretakers the reason of admission
- Inform and educate the caretakers on their duties to help bathing, feeding and stimulation of the babies
- Directs and informs the caretakers on the operations of the SC including location of toilets, showers, playroom, washing room and what they will receive including meals and hygiene supplies
- Undertake anthropometric measurements i.e weight, height/length and MUAC of children in the SC ward
- Perform vital sign checking when required with the support of Nurses
- Assist in the preparation of Nutritional therapy for the admitted children and distribute feedings in respect to the frequency and amount of feed prescribed to each patient
- Discuss with the Nurse and the physician for the possibility of NG tube if concerned
- Distribute ReSoMal according to the prescription and/or protocol.
- Organize and conduct Health, Nutrition and Hygiene education sessions for the caretakers of the admitted children
- Counsel and support breastfeeding for mothers with infants and young children less than two years and follow up that appropriate and safe feeding is used
- Support Supplementary suckling technique for the mothers of admitted infants less than 6 months
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Monitor and report on the card how much food taken by the child on each meal and immediately report food intake less than 75%.
- Assist to maintain and report the SC supplies record properly
- Ensure the ward is clean monitor the availability of water and soap for handwashing
- Directly report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
Specific code of conduct:
- Ensure that SC beneficiaries, caretakers and members of the community are treated respectfully at all times
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all time
- Respect the rights of the patients and caretakers/attendants under his/her care
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Support the Running of Stabilization Center in Ngarannam PHCC in Bolori II Ward
- Ensure Nutrition activities are conducted in a quality manner complying with the National and international protocols
- Set-up and enforce effective referral pathways within the PUI Nutrition components (CM, OTP, SC and IYCF) and with the other departments (Health, FSL and Protection) to assure PUI integration approach.
- Education degree: Diploma in Nursing, Nutrition, dietetics or related fields
- Language skills: Good command in English and in local Dialects: Hausa and Kanuri
- At least 1 years of progressive work experience in Nutrition Activities including significant experience in the management of complicated SAM cases in the SC
- Previous work of CMAM program and with humanitarian organizations is added plus
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Transversal skills
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding and capacity of integration into the local environment
- Ability to analyse and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Knowledge of local culture and context in Borno state
Application Closing Date
1:00pm, 6th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online