Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Resident Representative & Deputy Representative and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator/ Head of the Office , UNFPA / Kaduna Decentralized Office for Northern Nigeria , the National Programme Analyst (Reproductive Health) works closely with the RH team and the larger UNFPA Programme and Operations teams using UNFPA and national systems and tools to deliver results. S/he will also work closely with different Nigerian Federal and state Ministry of Health departments, local governments, NGOs and partners to enhance reproductive health update in the country
The role substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of reproductive health with a strong emphasis on supporting the implementation of the UNFPA Family Planning Strategy 2012-2020 –“Choices not Chance” at country level. S/he analyzes and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to programme formulation, support implementation, monitoring, and evaluation within national development frameworks and the UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
LEVEL OF POST – NOA
POSITION NUMBER – 83350
DUTY STATION – KADUNA, NIGERIA
CLOSING DATE – TUESDAY, 03 NOVEMBER, 2020
CONTRACT TYPE: FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
DURATION: ONE YEAR* (RENEWABLE BASED ON AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS AND SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE).
The UNFPA Supplies Programme is part of efforts to improve access to and utilization of family planning commodities worldwide. The Global Programme works with national governments to strengthen or establish secure, reliable, cost-effective, and sustainable systems to ensure supply of and demand for reproductive health commodities, including contraceptives and condoms. With support from UNFPA Supplies, the UNFPA Country Office in the Federal Republic of Nigeria is working closely with Federal, States and Local Government counterparts in support of government-led efforts to increase mCPR, reduce unmet need for family planning and increase uptake of family planning information and services.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for the following:
- In collaboration with State Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners contributes substantively to integrate reproductive health and rights dimensions in UNFPA programming, monitoring and evaluation and ensure that reproductive health and rights issues are taken into account in addressing population issues.
- Provides technical assistance in the states under the decentralized office within the framework of agreed work plans for successful implementation of the Reproductive Health and Rights component of the Country Programme.
- Help to create and document knowledge about current and emerging reproductive health and rights issues, by analyzing programmes, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with the UNFPA team for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assist in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Decentralized Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Create and deliver effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Mobilize government counterpart obligations and explore opportunities for additional resources in support of Reproductive Health and Rights initiatives in the states under the UNFPA/ Kaduna Decentralized Office.
- Promote UNFPA visibility in the states under the zonal office.
- Analyze and interpret the political, social and economic environment relevant to population and development, reproductive health and gender and identify opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Keep abreast of new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks.
- Monitor the RH and Rights content of the UNFPA country programme, ensuring that it is in line with the National Strategic Framework and all policies and plans for the effective and efficient provision of RH services.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders (Governments, NGOs and CBOs) in the design of materials pertaining to RH, ARH, IEC/BCC advocacy in support of the implementation of RH programme.
- Undertake advocacy activities with policy makers at all level to ensure sustained support for utilization of RH services.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by UNFPA Deputy Representative and/or UNFPA Kaduna Head of Office.
Qualifications and Experience
Possess an MBBS and a Master’s degree in Public Health and/or other related Social Science field would be desirable.
Knowledge and Experience
- Possess professional experience of a minimum of one year preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector linked to reproductive health and rights issues.
- Be experienced in working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Experienced in working in Northern Nigeria/
- Be familiar with issues on population, reproductive health, gender and youth.
- A good understanding of Hausa language
Have a strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing diversity in all its forms
• Embracing change
• Achieving Results
• Being Accountable
• Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
• Thinking analytically and Strategically
• Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
• Communicating for Impact
• Advocacy – Advancing a policy-oriented agenda;
• Results-based programme development and management;
• Leveraging the resources of national governments & partners;
• Building strategic alliances and partnerships;
• Innovation and marketing of new approaches;
• Resource mobilisation; and
• Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise.
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS:
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm