Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria, causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. Over the years, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion, and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Mandate Protection Training
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to improve security and reduce support for violence in Borno State in Northeast Nigeria. Following two previous phases of the program starting in August 2016, the NE-CMS program entered Phase III in August 2019 for an additional two-year implementation period, which is expected to result in:
- Citizens are more civically engaged, and civilian government are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level
- Local decision-making and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women.
The consortium aims to achieve these outcomes through a range of activities:
- Engaging government in capacity building and mentorship, supporting traditional leaders and communities to conduct advocacy and accountability activities;
- Encouraging dialogue and psychological trauma healing among diverse stakeholders to generate trusting relationships, nurture reconciliation, and mitigate potential future crises; and
- Establishing parallel safe spaces for women and youth to ensure that they can effectively contribute to peacebuilding. NE-CMS operates in five targets LGAs, namely: Maiduguri Municipal Council (MMC), Jere, Dikwa, Damboa, Gwoza. A key output expected of Outcome one of NE-CMS, as stated above, is Capacity Building for Participatory Governance. This assignment will contribute significantly to delivering on this output, hence the actualization of Outcome 1 of the NE-CMS program.
- The overall objective of this consultancy is to empower the Good Governance Committees (GGC) Women Council (WC), Youth Support Network (YSN) and LGA officials in NE-CMS-supported LGAs with the skill to protect the people’s mandate in their communities.
- The training targets a total of 25 participants. Specifically, the training will empower the participants with a combination of skills required to protect the peoples’ mandate, namely;
- Community mobilizing,
- Sensitizing and community organizing.
- Election Monitoring
- Exposing and challenging fraud and abuse in the public service
- Development networks/ advocacy coalition
Deliverables and Timeframe (November 02 – 20, 2020):
For effective mandate protection training, the Consultant will be expected to develop training modules to cover the following areas:
- Best practice approach for ensuring a free and fair electoral process
- Monitoring and reporting on the activities of political and government officials.
- Facilitating Accountability and Voice (V&A) Mechanism; this involves the citizen’s ability to raise their “voice” and demand “accountability” from government and political officeholders.
- Developing public service score card; this is used to raise and appraise performing MDAs and to name and shame nonperforming ones. Public service score card will be developed as part of the output for this training.
|S/N||Key Task||Billable Days||Key Deliverables|
|2||Development of training content explaining clearly methodologies required for delivering on the training objectives||3||Facilitation guide including training modules as itemized above and more, methodologies and clear objectives Training agenda|
|3||Accept and incorporate NE-CMS input into facilitation guide and agenda||1||Reviewed guide|
|4||Implement Mandate Protection Training and support participants to develop action plans to guide the application of learning||5||Training Report Training evaluation report Action plans|
|5||Articulate and submit training report, incorporate recommendations and next steps||3||Training report|
- The workshop will adopt a combination of direct presentation, syndicate group work, presentations/ Brainstorming exercises, question and answer sessions, and case studies to ensure all participants’ full participation.
- The Consultant will develop handouts and reference materials for participants. Take-home assignments will also be given to participants to ensure that they continue to practice and implement learning.
The Consultant will report to:
- Program Manager, NE-CMS
- The Consultant will work closely with:
- Governance and Advocacy Coordinator, NE-CMS
Skills and Experience Required
The Consultant is expected to have the following skills and qualifications:
- Advanced degrees in economics, development studies, social sciences, or related discipline; A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in conducting and supporting capacity building activities in mandate protection and related fields including but not limited to election monitoring, organizing election, etc.;
- Demonstrable experience in working with communities in Borno State.
- An understanding of the socio-political and economic context of Borno state;
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
- Ability to facilitate training in Hausa; Kanuri language a must;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
- Must be resident in Maiduguri, Borno state
Application Closing Date
29th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.