The Federal Scholarship Board (FSB) is a Department of the Federal Ministry of Education headed by a Director, as the Secretary of the Board. It has no Governing Board as the name/nomenclature suggests.
THE MANDATE OF THE BOARD IS AS FOLLOWS:
- Policy Formulation – Preparation of periodic master plans for a balanced and efficient utilization of foreign and local scholarship, and fellowship awards to deserving Nigerian undergraduate and postgraduate students. This may sometimes involve consultation with State Governments, the Ministries of Foreign matters and with other relevant agencies and bodies.
- Implementation of Federal Government policy and programmes of foreign and local scholarship awards to deserving Nigerian scholars.
- Implementation of Federal Government commitments to Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) and Multi-Lateral (Commonwealth) Agreements on Scholarship and Fellowship awards to Nigeria.
- Implementation of Presidential Special Scholarship for Innovation and Development (PRESSID) and NYSC EX-Corps Scholarship.
- Collection, collation, analysis, publishing and dissemination of data and other information of student matters, Scholarship and Fellowship awards in relation to Nigeria.
- Supervision and monitoring the activities of Federal Government Scholars in Tertiary Institutions locally and abroad.
- Advising and coordinating States Scholarship Policies and Programmes through Annual Coordinating Committee Meetings of Secretaries of Federal and State Scholarship Boards.
THE BOARD OPERATES UNDER FOUR (4) DIVISIONS AS FOLLOWS:
- Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA);
- Nigerian Awards;
- Commonwealth Scholarship & Fellowship Plan; and
- General Duties
Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA)
BILATERAL EDUCATION AGREEMENT (BEA) SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBLE FOR:
- Undergraduate (UG) studies tenable in Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Japan, Macedonia; and
- Postgraduate (PG) studies tenable in Russia (for those whose first degrees were obtained from Russia), China, Hungary, Serbia, Turkey, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, e.t.c.
FIELDS OF STUDY
- Undergraduate level – Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences, Mathematics, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social Sciences, Biotechnology, Architecture, Medicine (very limited), etc.; and
- Postgraduate level (Masters Degree and PhD) in all fields.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
- UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS: All applicants for undergraduate degree courses must possess a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WASSCE/WAEC (May/June) only in the subjects relevant to their fields of study including English Language and Mathematics. Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old (2021 & 2022) for Non-African Countries and for African countries the age of certificate is one year (2020) only. Age limit is from 17 to 20 years
- POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS: All applicants for Postgraduate degree courses must hold a First Degree with 1st Class or at least 2nd Class Upper Division. The applicants who are previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have acquired at least two (2) years post qualification experience or employment practice in Nigeria. All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C. Programme and the age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D.
- N.Y.S.C discharge or exemption certificates only are accepted; and
- Evidence of readiness to be released by an employer.