- Eligible candidates:
Highly talented prospective students from non-EU/EEA countries
- Amount of scholarship:
Depends on the programme (approximately between 5.000 and 17.000 euro)
- Number of scholarships/year:
Approximately 2 for the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics, approximately 5 for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht, 1 for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and 1 for Global Sustainability Science
- Provided by:
Utrecht University and alumni of Utrecht University
It is not possible to apply for the scholarship, but the selection committees review the application files for possible nominees. Prospective Bachelor’s students in Economics, and Business Economics, Global Sustainability Science and Philosophy, Politics and Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before 1 February. Different procedures apply for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht, please proceed to the UCU website.
Aim of the programme
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University:
International Bachelor’s programmes:
- Economics and Business Economics
- Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht (different procedures apply for UCU applicants, please proceed to the UCU website)
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Global Sustainability Science
The scholarship programme is highly selective. Only candidates showing the highest achievement and promise may receive a scholarship.
Duration and number of scholarships
Selected students receive a scholarship for the duration of the degree programme, which is a maximum of three years for a Bachelor’s degree. Approximately 9 scholarships are awarded each year (approximately 2 for the Bachelor’s in Economics and Business Economics, 1 for Global Sustainability Science, 1 for Philosophy, Politics and Economics and 5 for Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht). The scholarship will only be renewed for the second (and third) year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Amount of scholarship
Selected students can be awarded a scholarship that can range from 5.000 euro to 17.000 euro depending on the programme per year. However, students should be aware that the grant is not necessarily a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely. As one of the requirements for being granted a residence permit in the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means. Read more about the budget the University advises.
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- Not have the Dutch or an EU/EEA nationality and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
- Have been admitted to the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics, Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Global Sustainability Science or to University College Utrecht;
- Hold a relevant secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa;
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades and test scores;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship. The selection committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above. The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.