Experience: 2 years
Location: Mafa, Dikwa, Borno
Job Type: Contract
Job Field: CCCM
Contract Length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
Start Date: As soon as possible – Desirable
About the Job
ACTED Nigeria Mission operates throughout the North East Region of Nigeria. Due to the nature of operations, the geographical locations in which we as a mission deliver humanitarian aid, the unpredictable and ever-changing context, staff accountability procedures, the importance of effective communications and the concern of staff safety and security during any field deployments within this context is of a huge concern:
Under the supervision of the Senior Site Officer, Camp Manager or CCCM PM, the Site Officer is responsible for ensuring that all inhabitants of the camp are living a safe, secured and dignified life this includes but it is not limited to undertaking Coordination & IM activities, Governance&Capacity Building, Communication & Community Engagement activities, Site Care and Maintenance activities, and mainstreaming Protection through all activities, and sometimes the management of Site Assistants (site dependent).
- ACTED’s Site Officer will play an integral part of the camp management team of ensuring that all inhabitants of the camp are living a safe, secured and dignified life.
Undertake Coordination & IM activities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Liaise and coordinate with all humanitarian partners and stakeholders working in the sites, on a day-to-day basis
- Liaise and coordinate with local authorities, on a day-to-day basis
- Monitor service provision at the site level, including through observation and assessment
- Compile regular reporting from partners on their activities in the sites
- Conduct and oversee regular data collection, including on service availability and standards in the sites
- Participate in assessment and data collection exercises as needed
- Ensure information is shared back with partners and communities
- Attending relevant coordination, sub-sector and other ad hoc meetings as required by a line manager
Undertake Governance & Capacity Building activities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Work with the Senior Site Officer / Camp Manager in creating and maintaining relevant Camp Committees dependent on camp needs. Provide SOPs, TORs and relevant tools to facilitate functional committees. Ensure committee members are recruited transparently and inclusively with the agreement of relevant stakeholders
- Facilitating at least 8 committee meetings per camp per month. Capture accurate meeting actions and share with line manager within 2 days of the meeting
- Building capacity of Camp Committee Members in CCCM, community governance and community mobilization, to enable committees to pass information to the camp population, advocate for the needs of the camp population, and influence humanitarian assistance delivery
- Strengthening daily the coordination and relationship-building with community leadership groups and community members on a formal and informal basis
- Ensuring relevant community and committee stakeholders’ participation in camp level coordination meetings
Undertake Communication & Community Engagement activities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Organize and chair regular meetings between community representatives and humanitarian agencies, taking minutes of meetings and attendance sheets
- Support organization of training to community committees, humanitarian agencies, and community members, on topics including on protection, fire response, and CCCM
- Work closely with CCE Officer to establish and then oversee ACTED Communications and Community Engagement (CCE) activities in the sites, including regular outreach to the community and information campaigns
- Support community mobilization efforts or information campaigns of community representatives or other humanitarian agencies as needed
- Support establishment of, and then implement, Complaints and Feedback Mechanism (CFM) in each of the sites, including data management, referrals, and ensuring feedback is given
Undertake Site Care & Maintenance activities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Identify physical risks and work with CCCM Technician to mitigate these risks
- Coordinate with other ACTED departments regarding the procurement of any material resources for site upgrading / site maintenance
- Ensure all services are accessible to people with additional needs
Mainstream Protection through all activities:
- Consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities
- Promote and adhere to ACTED’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy
- Promote participation and representation of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalised groups in all CCCM and partner activities
- Support establishment of referral mechanisms, in collaboration with protection partners
- Support vulnerable persons including through referral to protection partners, and coordination of support at specific events (e.g. distributions, registration)
- Ensure confidentiality is respected in all activities
Management of Site Assistants (site dependent):
- Devise daily and weekly work plans for mobile team activities, with the support of the Senior Site Officer / Camp Manager
- Timely reporting of problems and challenges in the sites to line manager
- Line management of Site Assistants if requested by Senior Site Officer / Camp Manager
- Other tasks as needed to support CCCM team members, to inform CCCM activities and to ensure the success of the ACTED CCCM objectives
NB: All interested Candidates should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Completion of a university degree in Database, Humanities, Social Studies, or another relevant degree
- Minimum two years of experience in international and / or local NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs in a camp environment
- Excellent communication and external representation skills.
- Excellent capacity to plan, prioritize, and multitask;
- Excellent team-working skills;
- Flexible, with the ability to use initiative and to cope with stressful situations;
- Excellent English skills, both oral and written;
- Good computer literacy, including smartphone use and MS Office (Word and Excel);
- Knowledge of multi-sectoral humanitarian response, including Protection, WASH, Shelter, and emergency distribution is required
- Experience in CCCM programming is strongly preferred
- Experience in Protection programming is of benefit
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Proficiency in English, Hausa and Kanuri language, both oral and written
- Experience, including leading / supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities and report writing.
- Experience using Kobo, or other mobile data collection technology
Essential Knowledge and skills:
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Method of Application
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologies for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
Interested and qualified? Go to ACTED Nigeria on docs.google.com to apply